OIL THREAD...opinions and knowledge fact or fiction

Pig9r:

Well, I changed the T100 over to Shell 5-40 full synthetic and a wix filter. It's on a 5K or one year change cycle. The R3, I believe will now also go to the 5/1 cycle but with the mobil.

Interestingly, both bikes hold the same amount of oil and have the same filter but the Bonnie is a 790cc air - oil cooled twin and the R3 is, well, you know. Either the Bonnie has an extra margin of lubrication capacity or the R3 is lacking.

The Bonnies have an oil cooler right?

Yes, they do. It's mounted on the front down tubes. Like I said, the oil capacity is exactly the same for both and they both take the same filter. The Bonnie is wet sump, unit construction, R3, dry scavenged, unit construction. I'm thinking the filter is standardization, but oil capacity, well....

While the Bonnie has an oil cooler, it's cylinders are air cooled while the R3 is water cooled and we know that a water jacketed engine with a force feed pump and pressurized coolant is more thermally efficient than an ambient air cooled engine, right?

At least the Bonnie only has one drain plug. Less things to get lost on the garage floor.

This is my opinion and just mine.
Why buy a $15,000 motorbike and worry about spending $70 bucks every 10,000 miles. For an oil change.
Just my opinion. :)

Right you are. Mostly.

The cost of oil is not the issue. Fitration of any oil is. The Mobile 1 or Amsoil debate goes on. I imagine that is because of the interest in providing the greatest life to the Rocket. My opinion is the filtration of oil is the key for long term performance. And, now that I look at it, Mobile 1, 15W50, is 15,000 mile oil. It states so right on the bottle. Why does Triumph recommend 10k? Must need some greater filtration (change over) for a reason. Too much hotter than Mobile 1 is rated for? Too much crap (grunge) build up? The shearting is too great? The cost of oil wasn't the issue. I think the thread started out with the debate of which kind.

Right you are. Mostly.

The cost of oil is not the issue. Fitration of any oil is. The Mobile 1 or Amsoil debate goes on. I imagine that is because of the interest in providing the greatest life to the Rocket. My opinion is the filtration of oil is the key for long term performance. And, now that I look at it, Mobile 1, 15W50, is 15,000 mile oil. It states so right on the bottle. Why does Triumph recommend 10k? Must need some greater filtration (change over) for a reason. Too much hotter than Mobile 1 is rated for? Too much crap (grunge) build up? The shearting is too great? The cost of oil wasn't the issue. I think the thread started out with the debate of which kind.

Actually, I started the thread when I found out (by accident) that Chris Crain over on the NTBF Delphi Forum had 70K on his Bonnie and never used the Triumph recommended Mobil synthetic in it, but rather relatively cheap Shell Rotella 15-40. When other guys chimed in on the thread and stated they were also using 15-40 Rotella or 5-40 Rotella synthetic, I brought the questions here. Like I said a few posts ago, it's interesting that my Bonnie at 790cc takes exactly the same quantity of oil as the R3 at 2300cc. It also uses the same oil filter. Which engine has too much oil capacity, or too little. That's the 64 dollar question. I also stated that most likely, the filter thing was a standardization issue, but the capacity, the jury isn't seated on that one.

If the 790 or the 865 vertical twins live long lives on Rotella, why not the R3. Besides, the Mobil is only available at a Triumph dealer whereas Rotella is available most anywhere. I, for one, don't have a dealer nearby but I do have a Wally World and an Advance Auto Parts which both sell Rotella in both flavors.

I already (this change) have the T100 on the synthetic Rotella and I'm contemplating the R3 too.

Last edited:
Sorry Flip - forgot about the Rotel tomatoe sauce. With/Without the "e"? I had the impression that brand was engineered for diesel and I was totally unaware they had engineered a full synthetic?? I'll have to research that. As I said, the debate goes on.

All wet and slipping.....

Actually, the major difference between "diesel" oil and oil for gasoline engines (read automotive, emissions compliant gasoline engines) is the fact that oils like Rotella, Delo, Chevron, etc., have trace amounts of metals that are harmful to catalytic convertors.

From what I understand (I'm no petrochemist), those elements actually are good for bearings and wet clutches. Some automotive specific oils contain friction modifying compounds that will make a wet clutch slip.

Flip I had a 1500 Suzuki Intruder that was oil/air cooled, the volume that was in the oil cooler would not drain in a normal oil change. so the Bonni may well have a larger oil capacity!

As stated earlier from http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Interestingly, for 2007, the engine manufacturers are going to initiate an additive package change in C rated Group II oils so that the oil won't contaminate the catalytic convertors and related emission componetry on the 2007 compliant engines due out this January.

Also:

Oil companies are cutting back on zinc and phosphorous, as these metals are hard on your catalytic converters. They're substituting molybdenum disulfide, which lowers friction and improves gas mileage. It also causes problems for people with wet clutches, that is most motorcycles.

Flip I would research what additives they are using to ensure it's not mb. That article is probably one of the most "reasonable" takes on oil usage I have come across and he uses Rotella also. I noticed he had an email link at the top you might email him and see what he is going to use.

Ice on the pumpkin...Tulips on the organ....

Flip I had a 1500 Suzuki Intruder that was oil/air cooled, the volume that was in the oil cooler would not drain in a normal oil change. so the Bonni may well have a larger oil capacity!

You haven't said, but did you get anything in your mailbox this week (I'm not talking about girlie magazines either)?

The actual oil capacity is the same and that is taking into account the oil in the oil cooler. You have to allow for the oil to drain overnight, even if it's warm. Just pulling the drain plu will get you 3.5 quarts with the 1/2 quart or so still left in the cooler. You have to be patient and allow for the vacuum to break in the cooler and it will drain. That's a mistake quite a few Bonnie owners make and then overfill the crankcase.

I'd be willing to bet that right now, you got ice on your mailbox, and everything else that's exposed.

Back