OIL THREAD...opinions and knowledge fact or fiction

Seems simple enough to me. JASCO-MA. With all I know, or don't, I know I don't know what factory engineers know.

Thanks guys, but respectfully I realise that I've f'ed up by using the automotive 15W50 - I just want to know if I can fix it easily by changing out the stuff with motorcycle oil or whether it will require a new clutch pack (and associated expense). In turn this could bring on an ultimatum from the wife - 'bike or me!'.

I'll miss her.

Thanks guys, but respectfully I realise that I've f'ed up by using the automotive 15W50 - I just want to know if I can fix it easily by changing out the stuff with motorcycle oil or whether it will require a new clutch pack (and associated expense). In turn this could bring on an ultimatum from the wife - 'bike or me!'.

I'll miss her.
It can't hurt to just change out the oil and see what happens, pour the oil out of the filter and reuse it, refill with standard (not expensive synthetic) oil and run it around on that for awhile. That might flush the additives out of the clutch plates by itself. Later on if it stops slipping you can go back to full synthetic and 10k oil changes again, if not ... well, you can think about the clutch replacement then. ;)

Last edited:
I would change it, run it unitl it gets good and hot then dump it and refill. Maybe do it again in another few hundred miles if it keeps slipping. If it continues to slip, then you might consider changing the plates, but I wouldn't sweat it too much, it should work itself out. There is a oil passage that squirts oil right on the clutch pack, so it should work it way out. Another reason to use a 4T oil is that it also runs through the tranny.

Thanks for all the replies Gents,

I dumped the synth and refilled with a mineral 4T which I'm gonna leave in for a little while, then dump it like PIG9R said and refill with a good synth 4T. Saw the Repsol 4T 15W-50 yesterday for a good price - anyone here use it rather than the Mobil?

PS: It's already a lot better - small slip under load yesterday but rode it pretty hard today and no slippage.

Jimbo

I get my Mobil 4T at WALLY WORLD around $9+ a qt. I have 40k on the Rocket and have changed my oil 10k and the filter every 5k. I think the filter is a little to small to clean all that oil. Don't forget it's also cooling and cleaning the trans. I've always used Syn oils in my cars and bikes. I changed it at 10k with the filter at 5k's. I have never had a vehicle use oil between changes. I do about 30k a year on all my vehicles. Do what the Manufacturer says while under warrenty then make your own choices. Changing the oil at 3k is a lot of work by years end. Figure each oil change takes time to do then to get rid of the old oil. That all costs money. In the end, all of this cost the same.

I use a good small strong magnet on the filter and then cover it all up with the chrome cover. A proven method for small metal bits. two of them from an old hard drive fit right in, are stronge, and still let the cover go back on as it should.

Clutch still slipping

Well Gents I did a full oil change and it seemed alright for a while. Rode her the other day and clutch noticeably slipping, most often in second under load.

I contacted my local dealer and it seems as if it's gonna be about $400 for the fibre plates and another 450 or so for labour.

After that news I threw in a couple of bottles of engine flush and let it run for about 20 min before doing a complete oil change again. Still slips.

I have a friend who is mechanically unchallenged, who has offered to help me take out the clutch pack to clean the fibre plates - worth doing or should I spend the moolah on the new plates? I'm leaning towards dealer replacement when I have the money.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Well Gents I did a full oil change and it seemed alright for a while. Rode her the other day and clutch noticeably slipping, most often in second under load.

I contacted my local dealer and it seems as if it's gonna be about $400 for the fibre plates and another 450 or so for labour.

After that news I threw in a couple of bottles of engine flush and let it run for about 20 min before doing a complete oil change again. Still slips.

I have a friend who is mechanically unchallenged, who has offered to help me take out the clutch pack to clean the fibre plates - worth doing or should I spend the moolah on the new plates? I'm leaning towards dealer replacement when I have the money.

Thanks,

Jimbo

Check out Flipmeisters Specialty Products EBC Clutch Fibers and HD Spring Kit you can save some cash.:):D:).

Back