Next Generation Key-Less System

Ken - How far away from the bike does the tag activate/deactivate?.

My leathers are stored fairly close to the bikes.

Unless he's changed RFID gizmos...15 feet or so. If the fob stays within that range it will stay "armed" i.e. ready to start

Morris; let me know when you are spending some time in the garage.
I'll bring my R3 and we can install my keyless bug.
Also ordered a CAT bypass.

Will probably spend some time this weekend...Nurse Ratchet just got a $hitload of lights for her Spyder that I need to install

Ken - How far away from the bike does the tag activate/deactivate?.....

... 15 feet or so. If the fob stays within that range it will stay "armed" i.e. ready to start

As Morris says, about 15' (5m) is a good average for unobstructed 'line of site'
But just a quick correction - that should have said DIS-armed which is ready to start - armed is when it is interlocked and disabled, when the remote is out of range. :D

There is not really a big deal if is dis-armed if locked in your garage anyway - even in dis-armed state it only draws about 15mA from the LED in the instruments (the box itself draws next to nothing)
However what I find is that anything on the cusp of range (and the range can change subtlely depending on environmental conditions) it can potentially flip between states and then you get the turn signals flashing.
i.e even if the remote is not moving you might still get the occasional change of state, depending on the detector seeing the remote signal or not.
(Even then the signals flash only momentarily for short duration pulse as it changes from armed to disarmed (Two Flashes) or disarmed to armed (One Flash) - so unlikely to cause a battery drain either - it's just more annoying if you are actually IN the garage)
So I recommend to just ensure the remote is stored completely out of range (beyond 20' ) as a matter of course.
Of course physical obstructions affecting the RFID signal will help to reduce that.

Nice! Never thought of looking for a touring as a beta user? :)

Sorry John - it was not practical to offer Beta to anyone outside of the US - that would have been prohibitive for dialogue and fixes which as it turned out, became necessary.
And the cost & time for overseas shipping both ways was just impractical.

So my apologies to any of our overseas friends (particularly some of the 'senior' members in Oz) if you weren't asked - it was purely the logistics of it.

Back