The next-next-Gen Key-Less????

DEcosse

If it's no Scottish it's CRAP!
Ride
Triumph Daytona (Custom)
This is just a feasibility study at the moment ........ I'm looking at alternative hands-free triggers for my key-less ignition.

Ultimately I'm going to have to find something to replace the 2102T RF Detector I currently use - not because of its capability, which I think is absolutely perfect - but just because of availability.

I just came across a phone-actuated device.
@barbagris had actually suggested some time back he would like to see a keyless system use a phone - I poo-poo'd the idea, saying if you had to actually dig the phone out to operate the arm/disarm function, it wasn't much of a convenience.
Well, lo & behold - there IS such a device that operates on a phone and in hands-free mode too!

Enter the Directed DSK100 - it is a Bluetooth actuated Detector, that is linked your smartphone - apps are available for download for both Android and i-Phone.

DSK100_.jpg

Unlike the sweet little Directed 2102T RF module I currently use, it has an initial detractor in that it does not immediately have a constantly active armed/disarmed state, only Lock/Unlock functions (plus couple of Aux manually operated switches which are for trunk, Start or whatever you choose); so the first part was to design a circuit that would convert the momentary door 'Lock' or 'Unlock' pulses into a constant 'Armed' or Dis-Armed state. I actually had that knocked out - both design and prototype - before the module even showed up! If ultimately employed, that interface would insert into my current version controller/power-module (got ahead of myself again and even designed the artwork for the PCB for that to be sure I could actually fit everything!)

Here is the DSK100 hooked up to my Prototype to test its functionality:

The first observation is the lag - From the range at which it should be activating it takes 5-10 seconds or so to actually toggle (and realize several of those seconds are actually consumed in just getting to the bike) - I think that might be 'livable' on a bike,where you might be putting helmet & gloves on prior to actually turning on - but it's certainly not as 'quick' as the 2102T module.

I think I could probably live with the lag (what do you guys think?) - but there are other considerations:

The app - at least the Android version was really poor.
There is (supposedly) an adjustable range setting for the detected zone - per the set-up instructions, it should show the lock/unlock markers move to represent the selected position; not only did they not move (whether I tried 5' or 20') neither did the apparent applicable range!!! It always seemed to toggle at about the same distance (not accounting for the lag time). And on the 'set range' page, it instructs tap one to set; then says accepted and tap again to reset - well the second tap does nothing. And if you exit that screen and come back to it, THEN it is as-if it has been reset (I'm wondering if this is the issue with the seemingly non-adjustable range)

There is a selectable 'sleep' mode whereby it puts the module in a low-current state, vs continuous polling for the phone - sounded great in principle and actually very attractive to save drain on the bike's battery! But once I entered 'sleep' NOTHING I could do could get it out - even after re-activating the Bluetooth, so it was communicating, the Sleep-ON Icon, remained in the 'On' state - the only way I could get it off that was to delete the vehicle and enter it as a new vehicle. It is supposed to go into that state after 14 hrs anyway I believe - will have to see what happens then. (I'll test this out overnight - I think that is likely in the device hardware/firmware rather than the App - if so it might be a very nice feature)

Sleep mode is now enabled by tapping the Sleep Mode button on the Cars detail page. This shuts down the module to prevent it from using any battery current. Use this if you are parking the vehicle for extended periods of time.
You can wake the module back up when you return by simply sending a Connect request.
For iPhone, tap the device name on the phone’s Bluetooth device list.
For Android, from either the main SmartStart user interface page or the Cars tab, press the phone’s Menu button to pop up a command box in the app with the Connect button in it. Press that button to restart your SmartKey module.

Power Saver Mode is automatically entered after 14 hours of no command activity. This mode leaves the SmartKey device active so you can connect with it and send commands etc., but it reduces the polling activity cycle to lower the amount of current draw from the battery. The SmartKey device will automatically exit Power Saver Mode when you return to the vehicle or send it a command.

Here are the User Instructions for the system -
https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/OG/Avital/QRGDSK100 2014-02 web.pdf

The App itself uses confusing jargon - there is a Smart-Key mode - which you enable to have the hands-free detection for Unlock & Lock;
then there is Smart Lock - this is described as hands-free Lock - but essentially this DISABLES the Smart-Key mode - supposed to be used when maybe unloading groceries or whatever and you as you go back & forth it doesn't keep locking/Unlocking. VERY confusing label I would say - initially I thought OK, we want Smart Locking on (seems intuitive does it not?) and had to read carefully as to what it REALLY does.

And the Bluetooth control - at least with my Samsung S10, is very limited (I think this is the issue with the 'Sleep' command - you are supposed to be able to re-activate it from the App, but there is no control to do so - Bluetooth is completely automatic on that phone and you can only switch on or off - but there is no 'connect' control for an individual device.

The manual control is pretty much instant - it is only the hands-free mode that causes some lag.

There are other nice features too, like GPS embedded within the App.

This product is discontinued - although there is no shortage of them available. I think on paper it has the potential to be a really nice product but I'm not yet convinced the nuances are worth it, especially if it is not going to be developed further.

I'm undecided - probably a little disappointed, more with the App than the device itself I would say.
I might have to try the Mrs i-phone and see how that goes.

Thoughts?

There's actually a Chinese variant of same I can see on AliExpress - might have to get one of those to try - see if it is any better. The only reluctance there is reliance again on App support - with a piece of hardware, it is what it is and you don't really care so much about ongoing development/support.

I consider my flip flop phone "smart" it takes,makes phone calls, takes messages,tells me the time and,even has an alarm except it does not wake me up, its to quiet.Will this work with the new keyless thingy?

I
This is just a feasibility study at the moment ........ I'm looking at alternative hands-free triggers for my key-less ignition.

Ultimately I'm going to have to find something to replace the 2102T RF Detector I currently use - not because of its capability, which I think is absolutely perfect - but just because of availability.

I just came across a phone-actuated device.
@barbagris had actually suggested some time back he would like to see a keyless system use a phone - I poo-poo'd the idea, saying if you had to actually dig the phone out to operate the arm/disarm function, it wasn't much of a convenience.
Well, lo & behold - there IS such a device that operates on a phone and in hands-free mode too!

Enter the Directed DSK100 - it is a Bluetooth actuated Detector, that is linked your smartphone - apps are available for download for both Android and i-Phone.

DSK100_.jpg

Unlike the sweet little Directed 2102T RF module I currently use, it has an initial detractor in that it does not immediately have a constantly active armed/disarmed state, only Lock/Unlock functions (plus couple of Aux manually operated switches which are for trunk, Start or whatever you choose); so the first part was to design a circuit that would convert the momentary door 'Lock' or 'Unlock' pulses into a constant 'Armed' or Dis-Armed state. I actually had that knocked out - both design and prototype - before the module even showed up! If ultimately employed, that interface would insert into my current version controller/power-module (got ahead of myself again and even designed the artwork for the PCB for that to be sure I could actually fit everything!)

Here is the DSK100 hooked up to my Prototype to test its functionality:

The first observation is the lag - From the range at which it should be activating it takes 5-10 seconds or so to actually toggle (and realize several of those seconds are actually consumed in just getting to the bike) - I think that might be 'livable' on a bike,where you might be putting helmet & gloves on prior to actually turning on - but it's certainly not as 'quick' as the 2102T module.

I think I could probably live with the lag (what do you guys think?) - but there are other considerations:

The app - at least the Android version was really poor.
There is (supposedly) an adjustable range setting for the detected zone - per the set-up instructions, it should show the lock/unlock markers move to represent the selected position; not only did they not move (whether I tried 5' or 20') neither did the apparent applicable range!!! It always seemed to toggle at about the same distance (not accounting for the lag time). And on the 'set range' page, it instructs tap one to set; then says accepted and tap again to reset - well the second tap does nothing. And if you exit that screen and come back to it, THEN it is as-if it has been reset (I'm wondering if this is the issue with the seemingly non-adjustable range)

There is a selectable 'sleep' mode whereby it puts the module in a low-current state, vs continuous polling for the phone - sounded great in principle and actually very attractive to save drain on the bike's battery! But once I entered 'sleep' NOTHING I could do could get it out - even after re-activating the Bluetooth, so it was communicating, the Sleep-ON Icon, remained in the 'On' state - the only way I could get it off that was to delete the vehicle and enter it as a new vehicle. It is supposed to go into that state after 14 hrs anyway I believe - will have to see what happens then. (I'll test this out overnight - I think that is likely in the device hardware/firmware rather than the App - if so it might be a very nice feature)

Here are the User Instructions for the system -
https://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/OG/Avital/QRGDSK100 2014-02 web.pdf

The App itself uses confusing jargon - there is a Smart-Key mode - which you enable to have the hands-free detection for Unlock & Lock;
then there is Smart Lock - this is described as hands-free Lock - but essentially this DISABLES the Smart-Key mode - supposed to be used when maybe unloading groceries or whatever and you as you go back & forth it doesn't keep locking/Unlocking. VERY confusing label I would say - initially I thought OK, we want Smart Locking on (seems intuitive does it not?) and had to read carefully as to what it REALLY does.

And the Bluetooth control - at least with my Samsung S10, is very limited (I think this is the issue with the 'Sleep' command - you are supposed to be able to re-activate it from the App, but there is no control to do so - Bluetooth is completely automatic on that phone and you can only switch on or off - but there is no 'connect' control for an individual device.

The manual control is pretty much instant - it is only the hands-free mode that causes some lag.

There are other nice features too, like GPS embedded within the App.

This product is discontinued - although there is no shortage of them available. I think on paper it has the potential to be a really nice product but I'm not yet convinced the nuances are worth it, especially if it is not going to be developed further.

I'm undecided - probably a little disappointed, more with the App than the device itself I would say.
I might have to try the Mrs i-phone and see how that goes.

Thoughts?

There's actually a Chinese variant of same I can see on AliExpress - might have to get one of those to try - see if it is any better. The only reluctance there is reliance again on App support - with a piece of hardware, it is what it is and you don't really care so much about ongoing development/support.
technology is always going forward but perfect is perfect and sometimes a company changes something for the sake of change, the keyless you made for me is flawless, perfect, just because something can be done doesn’t mean better than what is currently in use, if my phones dies can you still start bike, but you are the man and I’m sure it too will work flawlessly, but I’m not giving my keyless you made back no way I love it

Great idea. If you need a guinea pig let me know.

You were one of the very first Rocket systems Brian :D

If I commit to purchasing the new pcb artwork, the first 'alpha' will be me.
For 'Betas' I would prefer they go to US - it's just the logistics of if they have to come back for rework/upgrade
I'm sure you recall, we went through some teething problems as indeed of the first two Rocket systems, where I discovered the operating voltage took a severe hit - yours and Mike in UK - both of course had to be an ocean away!!
That was unexpected difference caused by the application specific to Rocket which I had not encountered on 'lesser' bikes :D
But lesson learned, the first ones need to be a bit closer to home.

Appreciate your thoughts on the lag time however - would you concur it is not that significant for a bike?
Anyone else think differently?

Also Brian - this is not going to be retrofit-able to older systems - it would have to be complete new solid-state module similar to the current generation - see my signature link - and won't be retrofit-able to those either, as my control circuit and power circuits are all on a common board)

You were one of the very first Rocket systems Brian :D

If I commit to purchasing the new pcb artwork, the first 'alpha' will be me.
For 'Betas' I would prefer they go to US - it's just the logistics of if they have to come back for rework/upgrade
I'm sure you recall, we went through some teething problems as indeed of the first two Rocket systems, where I discovered the operating voltage took a severe hit - yours and Mike in UK - both of course had to be an ocean away!!
That was unexpected difference caused by the application specific to Rocket which I had not encountered on 'lesser' bikes :D
But lesson learned, the first ones need to be a bit closer to home.

Appreciate your thoughts on the lag time however - would you concur it is not that significant for a bike?
Anyone else think differently?
Takes me longer to get on than that, lag time not an issue to me

... just because something can be done doesn’t mean better than what is currently in use ....
Yes (& thank you!) - it's not because I'm searching for something 'better' - have to unashamedly agree, the 2102T is a great device and does EXACTLY what I need it to - just gotta plan for obsolescence, already harder to find (well at sensible prices anyway!!!)

if my phones dies can you still start bike, but you are the man and I’m sure it too will work flawlessly, but I’m not giving my keyless you made back no way I love it
That's another good point - if this ever does come to fruition it would probably mean a bike USB charger would be essential to be sure will be able to have the phone be chargeable (not all the time, wont matter when riding - but for restart phone will need to be operable)

I do see some Chinese units that have both remote & phone connections (although both seems a bit redundant?)

Back