TomTom to the Rocket 3GT

stingray

Nitrous
Ride
'21Rocket 3GT, '17 KTM 1290 SDGT, '04 Goldwing
I usually run 10 to 20 years behind any new tech so just now exploring gps devices. Being a skeptical owner with the limited fuel range it is reassuring to know where the next gas station is or the nearest repair shop.

So looking for something motorcycle friendly I decided on trying the TomTom Rider 550. Mounting using the Ram mount was too easy. I mounted it where it can be rotated portrait or landscape, which I prefer. I want to be sure of the location before I hard wire it in.

So far learning it has been pretty easy. I've just got to remember to undock it when I get off the bike.
So any tips or advice or jokes are welcomed. Turn left, go fast, turn left, go fast...
20230512_080916.jpg
20230512_081144.jpg
20230512_081237.jpg

Great idea on the Tom Tom. Maybe change out your phone now. th.jpg
Hey I still have my old Motorola bag phone. Remember those? Funny I just got a smart phone a couple years back. No, I still don't know much about it. But bro, this TomTom is the cat's meow. I just made a ride with it and absolutely love it. The R3 speedo is consistently 10% higher at every speed. I'm gonna like this thing.

Why not try the Beeline? Minimalist but brilliant!
They have this Google maps on your phone that will guide you almost anywhere in the world and it's free! Even got mine bluetoothed to speakers in my helmet. Love technology.
It must be nice to live near civilization. I live where the cell phone reception is sketchy at best. During the summer when trees are in full leaf it almost disappears. A lot of my riding is in Dead Zones with no reception. Satellite reception is always there.

The beeline was considered but it doesn't offer much besides basic direction. Does it locate gas stations, tire shops, trip statistics? And I got the tomtom for less than $200.

It must be nice to live near civilization. I live where the cell phone reception is sketchy at best. During the summer when trees are in full leaf it almost disappears. A lot of my riding is in Dead Zones with no reception. Satellite reception is always there.

The beeline was considered but it doesn't offer much besides basic direction. Does it locate gas stations, tire shops, trip statistics? And I got the tomtom for less than $200
GPS is GPS it works on a phone even without cellular service. You will find you'll lose connection with a satellite as well. To all the other questions gas stations ect. the answer is YES.

I use my Iphone on the handlebars connected to the charger. It works better than I anticipated. It's a simple setup but I won't get lost again and end up in Oakland after dark. Not cool!

th.jpg
Just beware if offered à shortcut by Google maps. Sometimes it doesn't take into consideration fuel stops.

Back