Wrapping the Viking Headers

Boog

Traveling Story Teller
Ride
2014 R3T, RAMAIR, Full Viking Dual exhaust
Well, many of you know that Brahma had a heart transplant this January. The Viking exhaust system I put on awhile back has unprotected headers and I have burned quite a few holes in my pants. Well, since my old tune was lean and discolored the chrome horribly, and my mistreatment of the bike in general by keeping it outside all its life, the headers are also now rusting. So, to cover my lack of care and to protect my pants, I wrapped the headers today.

Disclaimer: this is my first attempt and I believe I will redo this wrap later with a titanium wrap vice this painful fiberglass wrap. The Hi-Temp Silicone coating that came with the kit is white, not the color I want.
Also, I did not take the pipes off the bike before wrapping. This would make for an easier wrap but added wrench time.

The outside temp is around 45°F, Hazel was going to help but I told her to stay inside for the temp and because I didn't want her to handle the fiberglass wrap. Even using gloves, I got fiber stuck in my hands, no fun.

To start with, the three bikes in the front of the house.
20230211a.jpg

A close up look at the discolored and rusty pipes.
20230211b.jpg
20230211c.jpg

I start on the back header as close to the collector as I can get.
20230211d.jpg

I measured pretty good and only have about six inches left to cut away.
20230211e.jpg

The metal bands are a bit fiddly. Once hand tight, take your Leatherman off your hip and twist the band tighter.
20230211f.jpg
20230211g.jpg

Here I realize I made a mistake. That middle pipe is too tight to get lower. I should have started wrapping below the back down pipe and double wrapped it for the first few inches. Doing it my way in the picture left a gap later.
20230211h.jpg

I am now starting the longest piece just above the O2 sensor and going to the forward pipe. Notice my grand plan of keeping the wrap nice and tidy. That did not last long.
20230211i.jpg

I tightened the metal band on this one before moving too far forward.
20230211j.jpg

Keeping the wrap tight is a constant problem. Now I am getting to the hard part.
20230211k.jpg

Once finished, i had exactly enough on the long run. The two pieces here are from the first two wraps.
20230211l.jpg

A little closer look at my first attempt. The top bend on the forward header must have slipped. It appears that it is not covered by a quarter of a wrap any longer.
20230211m.jpg

I fired it up to heat the wrap and to cure it. This is of course without any silicone coating.
20230211n.jpg

20230211o.jpg

After the smoke stopped, I rode down by the river. I does feel noticeably cooler on my leg.
20230211p.jpg

I have the right color of coating on order, but I am not sure I will use it. I may order a different wrap that does not require the coating. If I do the coating, I will need to take the headers off the bike.

Let me know of any pointers you may have for me.

Good luck! I've only messed with the wrap, one time. I guess it was the fiberglass type. It did not last long, and slowly started to fall apart. Don't remember what brand.:cool:

The temperature rose above 60°F yesterday so i decided to coat the wrapping. This nut was the toughest to get to.
20230215a.jpg

Once the six nuts were off, I loosened the lower band that tightens the collector to the cross over. I thought I would simply rotate the headers away from the engine without full disassembly. That didn't work. And as daylight was quickly going dark, I taped off the shiny bits and blocked off the rest. This means the back side of the wraps do not get coated tonight.
20230215b.jpg
20230215c.jpg

On paper it say I am strong. Time to use a little strength to align the holes with the studs.
20230215d.jpg

All buttoned up.
20230215e.jpg

After the burn off. I'll be riding into work on Brahma today and see if I can detect any difference.
20230215f.jpg

Back