New Cams New Thread

Current status.... waiting on parts, which is going to be the status for a while.

Ordering up some goodies to make this a "while I'm in there" upgrade as well.

To complete for posterity:
New Chain $115
Old Chain and Sprocket kit $190

The old chain cannot be ordered seperate from the sprokets.

VIN split is around the Roadster introduction.

Last edited:
Current status.... waiting on parts, which is going to be the status for a while.
Ordering up some goodies to make this a "while I'm in there" upgrade as well.
To complete for posterity:
New Chain $115
Old Chain and Sprocket kit $190
The old chain cannot be ordered seperate from the sprokets.
VIN split is around the Roadster introduction.

Hoping you can reuse your radius slotted sprockets and save on machining the new ones?

The fact I can reuse them is good, the slotted ones I have took no damage at all, not even a mar mark from the chain.

Just pointing out that when ordering the old chain, you must order it with gears as a kit, whereas the new chain can be ordered chain only.

Also, Suzuki can kiss my hairy white ars. They want $77 for 6 shims....lmao not a chance.

Last edited:
One reason for zero clearance of the intake valves can be, that the valves are pushed back to hard into the seats, so they deform. That usually occours when you revv too high or springs are too weak.

Old cams both in, clearances checked, results are in post #3, and they explain a few things I had been noticing prior to the chain snapping....

I am amazed how quickly you had that engine out and stripped down Rob. I don't know if you're a trained mechanic, but you're an inspiration to make me get off my a*s and get into the little jobs on my bikes. Best of luck with mission Phoenix.

Thanks, engine got to stay in for this, thankfully.

I'm not a trained wrench, at least not formally. I have been wrenching on my own stuff since 2004 however and between this board and another back then, I've learned a ton of info thanks to the great members.

It's just a willingness and desire to learn paired with, sometimes, too much "git 'er dun" attitude.

A few things arrives today, the straighter chain guide design to replace the scored one, and a used chain from a 2011 roadster to inspect (not to use).

20190725_121935.jpg
20190725_121938.jpg

I stopped by the Yamaha dealer, knowing they're one of the few using Ti intake valves with high valve check intervals on the R1-M to discuss my clearances. Generally his advice was shim them, check at 2,000 miles for rapid wear, if rapid wear occurs, new valves are indicated because the DLC will be worn through. I have a quote for the seats, $30 a seat through millennium, not bad. They do tappet boring as well....hmm.

The conversation drifted into "but why", so I explained the scenario. He had some very interesting information, potentially why the chain and guides were changed when the Roadster was introduced.

Below could be a load of BS, but it certainly makes sense:

Part of EURO 3/4/5+... Standards as most of us know, is noise, but not just exhaust noise, all noise.
When he was recently at KTM they explained to the techs that one of the tests they do is a coasting, idling, ride by of a mic. Then they target the audible sounds for noise reduction. One of those areas they were able to reduce noise, was the cam chain, by notching/shrinking the outer plate on the chain, as we have in the Roadsters, like the one I snapped.

Coincidentally the roadster was introduced not long after EURO 3 cam in effect, but more importantly, it went into production knowing EURO 4 was coming. The tech mentioned, that he's seen a lot of the notched plate chain on EURO 4 bikes as a sound reduction measure.

He also asked if our outer clutch plate was rotated 1 notch, also a sound reduction technique.

Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back