sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
Thought about it all week. Have a valve check coming up soon with then 2,000 miles. After a little thought and homework guess am ready to give it shot. Later in the morning plan on a Pm or a phone call and place my order. A extra few pony's can't hurt. Figure after checking it out ain't going to loose anything in the low and mid range might even gain a bit. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Like that thought a lot.

Thought about it all week. Have a valve check coming up soon with then 2,000 miles. After a little thought and homework guess am ready to give it shot. Later in the morning plan on a Pm or a phone call and place my order. A extra few pony's can't hurt. Figure after checking it out ain't going to loose anything in the low and mid range might even gain a bit. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Like that thought a lot.
Keep us posted, will probably do the same 1st time I have a reason to dig into the motor.

Rick

From past experiences with new motors kind of realized the cams are usually screwed up. EPA standards have really played havoc on performance vice emissions. Even with the Ramair and full three into one exhaust system from Viking feel as if i missing the final ingredient. After checking into the stock cams vice the aftermarket offered my the man in a tin shed. It only makes sense. My original fear was loosing the low end and mid range for more top end. Apparently this is not the case. Really like the low and mid range get up and go on the Rocket. Improve on it so much the better.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

From past experiences with new motors kind of realized the cams are usually screwed up. EPA standards have really played havoc on performance vice emissions. Even with the Ramair and full three into one exhaust system from Viking feel as if i missing the final ingredient. After checking into the stock cams vice the aftermarket offered my the man in a tin shed. It only makes sense. My original fear was loosing the low end and mid range for more top end. Apparently this is not the case. Really like the low and mid range get up and go on the Rocket. Improve on it so much the better.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
I agree completely, what sold me on the rocket was the low and mid range power, where I actually ride most of the time. Race cams have there place producing more power at the top end but often at the expensive of low.
So a street grind that lifts the whole usable range is awesome.

Rick

Nothing better than sitting at a light and watching the guy next to you on a bike thinking he has you beat. He is thinking that bike is to big to lift off. Guess again. :roll::roll::roll::roll: or having the poor sole at 65 plus thinking he is going to outgun you on the highway with his SUV while changing lanes. That is my world. Place the power were it counts. Ego trip yes but :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

@sonny To really bring this home -- the new cams -- after installation, you will need to have the bike mapped.

Do you have a place to go to do that ?

Nev makes it easy with a remote "tutor" service to work with your tune guy to get the best results.

He will provide you with a base tune to go with your new cams, he says "pretty good", so you don't HAVE to get the bike mapped, just, with a map, you'll have even greater confidence at that light, or next to that SUV changing lanes.

@rng3 You don't have to have a reason to change the cams -- and I don't really view it as "going into the motor" -- all the work is on top, like a haircut.

The only tricky part to it, I thought, well two maybe, is being really observant when removing the cam ladder to make sure you have all four locating sleeves, and the other part, is having a hole camera so you have a good idea of top dead center when rotating the crank.

And it shouldn't be tricky, but putting the valve cover gasket back on without it leaking was more of a challenge than I would have liked. I found using less torque than spec was the key.

@rng3 You don't have to have a reason to change the cams -- and I don't really view it as "going into the motor" -- all the work is on top, like a haircut.

The only tricky part to it, I thought, well two maybe, is being really observant when removing the cam ladder to make sure you have all four locating sleeves, and the other part, is having a hole camera so you have a good idea of top dead center when rotating the crank.

And it shouldn't be tricky, but putting the valve cover gasket back on without it leaking was more of a challenge than I would have liked. I found using less torque than spec was the key.
Good points, and the posts from your "adventure" with your cam change will prove helpful. I am tempted to wait until after my warranty period is over.
VERY impressed with your dyno results for streetable performance.
Does anyone know if the touring and the roadster have the same stock cam?
Would really like to go to a 10 to 1 piston at the same time but that is digging deeper.

Rick

Does anyone know if the touring and the roadster have the same stock cam?
Would really like to go to a 10 to 1 piston at the same time but that is digging deeper.

Rick

They are listed as the same part number anyway, T1142080 intake and T1142100 exhaust for all models.

Rick, you might have some conversations off line with @Neville Lush (who can provide all the expertise and component combination you could want) and @albertaduke who's 'been there done that' (you might search for his threads and find his story of the 190 hp machine he created with the assistance of Mr Lush).

It's all doable, if you have the tools, time, and inclination (and of course, an available piggy bank).

And you will want to consider "proper" exhaust -- another mandatory talking point with Mr. Lush, again, off-line -- and RAM Air or equivalent on the front end -- to make sure you realize all the available potential from the cams/pistons (and don't forget, at some point you cross a threshold and will want to consider upgraded valve train components - oh and too, Mr. Lush normally recommends purchasing his manual cam chain tensioner along with his cams.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress.

Back