My Moto Hobo life

According to what i found the wave washer would be to much.
In order to gain better info i will put it together and hand tighten so i don't break the cover and see if it will lock down the lifter.
I will post if i am right or wrrooong
Keep in mind this is a 2005 so i will not be able to check later models
I've got an 05 and I used the wave washer, but I also installed the new style pressure plate and newest lifter.

Yes, thank you! I saw his excellent work ” REVISITING MY SH847 REGULATOR/RECTIFIER MOUNT.”.

It is too nice to go on my hacked up bike though and i have a slight fitment problem in that there is a big whitish plastic thing with duct tape holding it together squeezed under that side cover (OEM coolant bottle)...

We will borrow from his design and report back on an alternate solution.

Note to self: Buy more Duct Tape (resupplied zip tie stock last week).

16BD168D-1AF0-4D45-BED6-545AA25FEBB5.jpeg

I did look at that and thought a chrome / Ali drink bottle would look better than that ball of duct tape. It was hard to tell that the original bottle underneath it.

I did look at that and thought a chrome / Ali drink bottle would look better than that ball of duct tape. It was hard to tell that the original bottle underneath it.
I agree, and many cheap easy options likely from an auto store. Oil catch cans will do the job too and heaps of those in stock at most stores for modded cars and they come with brackets that should be easy to fit /mod.
The easiest and perfect fitment of the new regulator is under that cover with just 3x zip ties to attach to frame down tube (2) and relay bracket.

The question install wavy washer or not
when i was checking the clearance for the wavy washer i was checking clearance without the clutches so the clearance was .001 and i thought leave it out
however installing the clutch pack w/o wavy the clearance went to .128 With the wavy washer the clearance is .083.
this measurement (based on this 2005) will vary depending on the clutch thickness.
i was wrong i would recommend installing the wavy washer.
conclusion
with my measurements the wavy never puts pressure on the lifter so it will do nothing for vibration. after discussion the only purpose we can think of is if the cable should brake the wavy would hold out the valve .045 farther.

The question install wavy washer or not
when i was checking the clearance for the wavy washer i was checking clearance without the clutches so the clearance was .001 and i thought leave it out
however installing the clutch pack w/o wavy the clearance went to .128 With the wavy washer the clearance is .083.
this measurement (based on this 2005) will vary depending on the clutch thickness.
i was wrong
i would recommend installing the wavy washer.
conclusion
with my measurements the wavy never puts pressure on the lifter so it will do nothing for vibration. after discussion the only purpose we can think of is if the cable should brake the wavy would hold out the valve .045 farther.
I'd put it back in. I know it seems sloppy but since its between the transmission shaft hole and the back of the lifter piece I belevie it keeps the lifter piece from botoming out against the shaft which oil is flowing thru. It might just sling oil also. And there are some hole drill perpendicular to the shaf axis to spray oil inside the clutch pack. Other then that it's useless and a c.u.n.t full of cold water !!!

Last edited:
Id put it back in. I know it seems sloppy but sinve its between the transmission shaft hole and the back of the lifter piece I belevie it keeps the lifter piece from botoming out against the shaft which oil is flowing thru. It might just sling oil also. And there are some hole drill perpendicular to the shaf axis to spray oil inside the clutch pack. Other then that it's useless and a c.u.n.t full of cold water !!!
i agree with you.

Me + Givi travel box + trailer hitch weight is around 420-440 pounds.

Hagon Nitros 12” vs OEM 12.5” are also a factor and they may not be at the ieeal settings now.

From Hagon: ”with no load on the shocks, set the pre-load so that the spring length is 215 mm (about 15 threads showing at the top); that's the factory-delivered preload. Then, ride and fine tune by feel. ”.

Mine are at 10 threads showing now.
I would think you might look to higher rated springs, not just cranking on the pre-load - and its just going to make it really harsh if you try to make it 'stiffer' by adjusting the damping
Normally to adjust pre-load you should be adjusting for the static sag (how much it deviates from the unloaded vs loaded height) and I suspect you will have way too much load for the std Hagon springs
Send Hagon an email and ask for recommendation on spring rate for your application

Note the 'default' spring rate is for a 14 stone (196lb*) rider with zero pillion load and zero luggage load

*1 stone = 14lbs

Last edited:
Back