A great week of catching up and travels.

Ishrub

That's my name ....built like a truck
Ride
2x2010 ABS Roadsters, Sprint ST 1050 ABS, 3x250s
My riding and shared adventures mate of 30 years Fletcher Christian came through last week after buying a '99 Triumph Tiger 885i 3 weeks ago with 103,000 Km for Au$4000 on a spur of the moment at a swap meet, he quit his job and left on a 6 week ride and catchup with mates. He did about 3000km before he got here Monday and Tuesday we drove 450 km to Gosford to pick up another car of mine and stay with a joint friend o'nite and we all cooked a gargantuan surf and turf feast with heaps off side dishes. Registered the car online Weds and drove home and chased up some stuff that arvo and Thurs am.

About midday we went for a ride up the Cotter River Rd and Mt Stromlo Observatory before heading another 80 k's to a tiny spot in the mountains called Wee Jasper thinking the only general store and gas pump would be open. Been closed for a year or so with options for fuel were 75km to Tumut over the forestry access dirt road, with a big sign NO CARAVAN's ALLOWED. Or a boring as bat **** ride back through Yass.

Fletch had new Michelin Ankakees on his Tiger and I was on my Red striped Roadster with Avon Cobra front and Exedra rear. About 45 Km through the heavily timbered and wild mountain country rough corrugated dirt with ball-bearing gravel and 25kmh posted 360 degree turns in single lane dirt with 300-400 foot drop offs etc.

About 25 km in I was leading and came across a gentle 30 degree turn with flat claypan surface and a fine grit on top. The Front Avon Cobra just completely slipped away without warning without any brake at all.

Luckily just doing 35-40kmh and had front and rear crash bars.

One mirror snapped off, tank lightly dinged by handle bars switches and a cracked front crash bar. I was wearing leather jacket and kevlar lined jeans.

Picked it up and rode another 20 km of horror dirt again before a T intersection and the last 27 km sealed rd to Tumut.

The T intersection had a great sign point left and right both went to Tumut in 27 or 26 km. The sign had small script under each stating longer was sealed road all the way or the 26km route was dirt all the way.

I said to Fletch "guess which one I prefer" and we pissed ourselves laughing.

Had a late lunch at the great pub The Oriental and a shared pizza and a couple of schooners a piece and another 300 km back home over the Snowy Mtn H'way with views to the North of the tallest Mt in Oz Mount Kosciuszko though Adaminaby and Cooma we got home by 6.30pm after a great day of about 550km of pretty interesting rideng and country that I still enjoyed. A bottle of Maker's Mark cured all my ills (luckily Fletch doesn't like bourbon;)) and we caroused together until about 1.30 the next morning.

It took me about 10 trys to get Google to recognize our route as legitimate when I checked it afterwards. ;):eek::D

Fletch left this morning with Thunderstorms and rain for company later today for his 600km trip down the South Coast to Latrobe Valley East of Melbourne. Then he is off to his 5th Phillip Island Moto GP and I'm heading North for out 2018 RDU hopefully we will catch up again as he heads back to Brisbane or Yamba.

Google Maps

upload_2018-10-20_12-25-48.png
P1050480 (2).JPG

Last edited:
That’s a serious bruise!
Hope it feels better than it looks.
Good story!

At least this time my indicators did not fall apart like last time I did similar dirt tracks in the Mtns near the Cotter. I had learnt my lesson and my lens screws were all blue loctited;):D

Fletcher's Tiger lost 3 indicators before Tumut that day:eek::D:D:D

Ah yes - A day full of bounty with one little mutiny.
Yep the little bugger has inherited a few acres on Norfolk Island where some of the crew and hangers on were moved from Pitcairn Island 1000's of miles away. Some chose to stay and inbreed further at Pitcairn but he is a direct descendant of the 'Revolutionary' or 'Mutineer' depending on viewpoint whose family went to Norfolk Island.

Sounds like quite an adventure...i thought you were protecting your mates identity with an obscure Aussie historical reference :roll:

Tis true that one man's freedom fighter is another's terrorist...ride on Fletch :thumbsup:

Yep the little bugger has inherited a few acres on Norfolk Island where some of the crew and hangers on were moved from Pitcairn Island 1000's of miles away. Some chose to stay and inbreed further at Pitcairn but he is a direct descendant of the 'Revolutionary' or 'Mutineer' depending on viewpoint whose family went to Norfolk Island.
Good for him. - We pirates likes mutineers.

:eek::eek:bloody good (Bloody edited twice to try and get the short word for human waste) Pete ... looking forward to the whisky enhanced version next Saturday.
I'm sure we can turn it into doin 300kph on a dirt road when a family of "drop bears" were in the middle of the road having a picnic on a greenie and you swerved not to disturb their good work but there was a cliff where a Japanese tourist had stopped his rented Prius on the edge to take pictures ..... the rest can flow .....

Back