My Moto Hobo life

tribal

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket III & 2015 Rocket III Roadster
It seems I am connected to my neighbors Cellular Booster so let’s try to catch up on some missing content.

I took a Harley dude and his wife to Slab City and sand dunes, stayed in a hotel and ate breakfast at the Space Age Diner in Gilla Bend and rode to Organ Cactus RV park.

I also refinished the roadside $309 chair I found outside Yuma.

PS. I apparently stepped on my Osmo Action Camera and cracked the lens. New ones are waiting back in Yuma along with a replacement JetBoil Genesis stove.

Poor attempt at holding camera in my mouth:

5ADD1543-97D7-4E9F-A7EF-5EF678288471.jpeg
2EB16F13-9E24-4F77-B90B-2B76DF97CE90.jpeg
F4BC20C7-6B0E-4811-B058-3461F0C8144B.jpeg
C6C87AB5-9B06-4BEC-A81D-F1F2ED22CD16.jpeg
AD81FA67-20B2-4D83-A880-7BA0DE90E17E.jpeg
4B650EC0-B724-405D-96D9-73B8220C3E5C.jpeg
DADBD556-C28E-41BD-BD53-CB06CFAE4E5F.jpeg
E835FDFE-F002-4B40-B725-FAAE3CEE99B0.jpeg
D2A32C39-53BB-414E-A221-EAE00186128D.jpeg
EFBFF631-DCAB-4380-AB55-7175C02A52DD.jpeg

Last edited:

RobWhi

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Very nice Jim
you are making me feel I have to start my trip earlier than planed

tribal

Nitrous
Ride
Very nice Jim
you are making me feel I have to start my trip earlier than planed

I’m here for moral support!

I really wish now that I had hit the road in 2016 after selling off most of my household items in an estate sale.

I burned through a lot of savings that would have covered twice as many years living the nomadic lifestyle.

Oh well, I’m loving it now (except when those •¥£€#%^* generators kick on or the wind picks up).

I am running into a lot of interesting people with interesting stories.

I met two different couples who lived on sailboats in the Caribbean for several years.

The guy next to me is a college professor who backpacked around almost every African country 3 months at a time and now lives in a pickup camper touring America.

Another biker rode to Peru and back by himself and has ridden in many countries in Europe.

Quite a diverse community from the former Army women living in a Subaru up to $250,000+++ Rolling luxury Condos towing $30,000 Jeeps (affectionately called toads).

Lots of dogs from tiny chihuahuas to at least one huge Great Dane.

A few cats too.

So I thought I went through a wormhole or time warp today and thought I was headed to the White Cliffs of Dover.

I was salivating in anticipation of some fresh Fish & Chips in a paper bag.

But alas the illusion was just leftover mining material piled up so I got a Chorizo and Egg burrito instead.

E437CA2D-74A6-4D60-9663-FD4350DBFFF8.jpeg
CEE91A1E-E32E-4902-8ACE-AC76CC588B63.jpeg
80637004-7141-4566-A847-3F1986AAA492.jpeg

RobWhi

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
I’m here for moral support!

I really wish now that I had hit the road in 2016 after selling off most of my household items in an estate sale.

I burned through a lot of savings that would have covered twice as many years living the nomadic lifestyle.

Oh well, I’m loving it now (except when those •¥£€#%^* generators kick on or the wind picks up).

I am running into a lot of interesting people with interesting stories.

I met two different couples who lived on sailboats in the Caribbean for several years.

The guy next to me is a college professor who backpacked around almost every African country 3 months at a time and now lives in a pickup camper touring America.

Another biker rode to Peru and back by himself and has ridden in many countries in Europe.

Quite a diverse community from the former Army women living in a Subaru up to $250,000+++ Rolling luxury Condos towing $30,000 Jeeps (affectionately called toads).

Lots of dogs from tiny chihuahuas to at least one huge Great Dane.

A few cats too.

So I thought I went through a wormhole or time warp today and thought I was headed to the White Cliffs of Dover.

I was salivating in anticipation of some fresh Fish & Chips in a paper bag.

But alas the illusion was just leftover mining material piled up so I got a Chorizo and Egg burrito instead.

View attachment 102185View attachment 102186View attachment 102187

RobWhi

.060 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
Regarding the generators I use a set of noise canceling ear phones as I find at free camps
the back packers and younger gen like to have a drink and party well into the night .

tribal

Nitrous
Ride
OK, no pics but 3 good tales from the road today.

1. I rode 200 miles back to Yuma to pick up my new replacement JetBoil. I thought the mail service was open until 2pm but they closed at noon.
I went to use my phone to find a room on hotels.com but my phone was dead.
Just then the back door opened up and I ran over to ask her when to come back in the morning. She asked my name and fetched my two packages!! Woot!

2. I don’t gamble with real money (maybe $20 on slots once in a great while as I worked sort of hard for my money and don’t like to give it away) but I do like to play Gas Roulette.
It is free and the rules are simple: fill up and see how close to empty you can get.

I don’t advise playing it while riding with others as they may not see the fun in it.

I usually don’t play late in the afternoon either - usually.

I played last week and went 212 miles and it took 5.9 gallons to fill up. 1/2 gallon left means I could have upped the ante and skipped to another station 17 miles further.

Of course there are lots of variables to consider when you are guesstimating how far you can go and that makes it interesting.

On my return trip tonight I decided to skip the last gas stop in Yuma and see if I could make it to Dateland which was halfway to Gilla Bend AZ. but my phone was still dead so I was flying blind.

I was running 95-100MPH so I knew I wouldn’t get much over 200 miles out of the tankful.

I cut it really close (some would argue I lost).

As I turned off the exit I felt a sputter and then she died approaching the stop sign.
I ran the stop sign and tried to use the momentum to cross the intersection into the gas station (pure luck it was so close) but it was uphill and I couldn’t find neutral quick enough.

I coasted up 20 yards from the pump but had to duck walk it up.

I call that a close win.

These shots say it all.

32.625 MPG averaging 80MPH isn’t too shabby considering I get around 36 MPG normally.

53AB5D00-8F37-4546-8DFE-367E5E9CFE1E.jpeg
5807CF0A-CB45-462F-AE15-BC25B4AFECF8.jpeg

Last edited:

tribal

Nitrous
Ride
#3. After getting my packages I took a detour to pick up some fresh dates and loaf of date bread and a date shake at the Imperial Date farm store.

As I was drinking my shake I noted that the pickup truck nearby had NY tags.

Not so uncommon as a lot of New Yorkers winter in Arizona but I thought I would say hello and see where they were from.

The gentleman replied Ticonderoga. Huh, say what?
Where are you from he asked?
I am from Ticonderoga too!
Do you mean Tioga? No, Ticonderoga NY.

Mind you, NY is a HUGE state and this town is really small and people don’t tend to stray too far.

Where do you live on Ti I ask.
Chilson he replies. Where did you live before you left? Chilson.

Where on Chilson? The Putts Pond Road.

That is 10 miles from my fathers house and you pass it every day.

No way!
What is your dads name? Jim Hebert.

I used to party with him all the time when we were young and we have coffee together at McDonalds.

What a small world it is sometimes!

This date farm is WAY off the beaten path and he had never been before.

If I hadn’t said hello he would have driven off and we would never know how close we were to crossing paths.

If my phone had worked I probably would have gotten the dates tomorrow when I went back to get the boxes.

Cool.