KN Air Filter

What doe's oil consumption have to do with an oil fiter??? (K&N) in htis case. I had an 2001 Ford F150 with 170,000 miles and has K&N sinse the first filter change and it never burned a drop of oil!!:confused:

Jamie started this thread concerning K&N air filters, which is my reference as well.

In the 50's and 60's you would not get very far using a K&N air filter. Why? Because the metals used in our internal combustion engines were susceptible to particulate wear. I think it's been proven by many that air filtration using K&N's is just fine for today's metals.

still confused

Are you saying K&N doesn't properly filter the air so contaminates get to the engine? Or is the material used to make the filter causing the problem. Still don't link air intake with oil consumption. Or internal parts out side intake and maybe sensors and injectors.

Paul there are several "garage" studies that show oil and gauze type air filters don't do near as well as paper filters. Here is one such article http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

What Hondax is referring to is when a certain size particulate is allowed to pass through the air filter it goes (along with the air) into the combustion chamber. That particulate (dirt, sand whatever) sticks to the cylinder wall, gets wiped by the piston rings and over time causes wear in the bore thus allowing blow by from the oil causing oil consumption. In addition, the dirt that is in the oil and can wear in other areas of the engine as well. Whether that happens or not I do not know. There is data out there supporting either way. I run K&Ns on a coupld of vehicles, Hondax chooses not to, it's like tastes great, less filling or ford and chevy.

We had a lengthy discussion several months ago about this and Hondax represented the non-K&N side well. http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=447&highlight=K%26amp%3BN+filter That is why I drug him into this.

Last edited:
This is unscientific speculation... but I have several customer's cars that are running K&N air filters that have a ton of miles... way over 100,000, and they don't burn a drop of oil.

Remeber the old oil bath air cleaners they used to use on cars? You would think that if anything would pass some amount of large clumps of dirt they would.... but they actually worked rather well, so go figure.

While I was talking to Dink about modded rockets he mentioned an interesting point.While the K&N may increase airflow the intake will only accept what air it requires to do the job within the parameters of the ECM.If it only takes what it wants,micromanaging the particulates is irrelevant.The sound is the only benny l see,that and a glove compartment.:confused:

Back