Jardines/PC III ...still some backfire ?

thausen

.020 Over
I just finished installing my new Jardines and PCIII with map for Jardines/stock filter. I did the 12 min tune and took her for a spin. I still have some backfire on decel in 1st. Is this normal and will it continue to improve or do I have an issue ? Thanks in advance.
Todd

This will require an answer from someone who runs Jardines. Jardine worked with the PCIII folks to create that tune, you might contact Jardine for an answer if no one else gives you any insight.

The PCIII maps are easy to play with, you might be able to experiment with some of the values in the first column to see if you can rid yourself of the backfires. Just make a copy of your original tune so you can always return to the original if you must.

Triumph also has a new factory tune that addresses some of the popping on decel, possibly that may help your situation in conjunction with the PCIII.

See this thread:

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=1308

With the PCIII the 12 min tune won't matter because the O2 sensor is not taking readings thus not changing the fuel trim tables.

Go to this link and look at the second map...

http://www.r3owners.net/showthread.php?t=287

Like Tom said the values in the 0 column is what is going to change the decel popping. You see the values in the first map go up to 15 and the second map they go up to 25. Make a mental note of what RPM range the popping occurs. If yours are 15 try bumping them up to closer to 20 and see if that helps, if not go up from there.

I would use caution if changing the stock tune in the ECU because you want to make sure you are using the correct base tune for the PCIII map.

Also take a look at how well your Jards are sealed. Leaks will give you popping to some degree as well - I actually fully tig welded mine so as not to leak. With the PCIII, I had to pump up the figures in the "0" throttle column from 15 to 20 units for the range 2000 - 4750 rpm to get rid of the popping, then recently up to 25 for the range 2000-2250 rpm, even after I had it dyno tuned.

popping

Thanks for the info guys. I feel a little better that Im not the only one having this happen. Im going to play with it a little and then take it to a dyno shop to have it professionally mapped if I cant beat it. I appreciate the help.
Todd

map

Ok, what Ive done so far is increase the values to 20 in the 2000 to 5000 RPM range. I didnt change any other values off the canned Jardine/Stock Filter/O2 map. Seems to have done ok eliminating most of the backfiring. Couldnt actually take her out for a ride because of a storm but it does seem better just twisting throttle. I noticed a lot of values were significantly different on the second map referenced above....Am I way off across the board here or should I stay with changing values in 0 column? I guess what I am asking is, is it worth taking to a shop for a custom map?
Thanks again,
Todd

If you can find a decent dynojet tuner it would be well worth getting a custom tune. I wouldn't mess with any of the other values unless it is not running right.

Ok, what Ive done so far is increase the values to 20 in the 2000 to 5000 RPM range. I didnt change any other values off the canned Jardine/Stock Filter/O2 map. Seems to have done ok eliminating most of the backfiring. Couldnt actually take her out for a ride because of a storm but it does seem better just twisting throttle. I noticed a lot of values were significantly different on the second map referenced above....Am I way off across the board here or should I stay with changing values in 0 column? I guess what I am asking is, is it worth taking to a shop for a custom map?
Thanks again,
Todd

I agree with Pig9r. This problem seems to happen for me mainly at zero throttle position from 1000 to 3000 rpm. I'm looking at the canned PCIII map for your setup. The first column has 4 zeros from 500 to 1250 rpm, 5 for 1500rpm, 10 for 1750 rpm, and 15 from 2000-4750 rpm. I would start by adding 5 to everything in the first column starting at 1250 rpm and ending at 4750 rpm.

How often

I think you should custom map.

If you don't, then at least go to a dyno and get yourself 3 pulls (or whatever they do in your neck of the woods), and get some A/F readings after you get the bike to where it feels good and isn't annoying with popping.

I've heard of some guys losing performance because they richened things up more than necessary just to get rid of popping. Oh wait, I was one of those guys!

Back