sawnoff stu

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 rocket 3
have had nothing but trouble with this beast. bought second hand an rode before buying. left outside for couple of very wet days then the mrs an myself got all togged up for a good ride out... reversed on to the road. started engine, pulled away then it died and wouldnt start. checked electrics fitted new plugs still no go....six hours later after getting very interment with electrics with no joy. was ready to set it on fire an walk away. gave it a few more attempts then thought why can i not smell any petrol..... had half tank an could hear pump doing its thing. opened tank cap dipped an tasted fuel.....it is petrol. pulled pipe off and smelt the leakage...no smell......tasted it an it was water.. found the cap ring had not been fitted properly an couple of the screws were cross threaded stopping the cap sealing. repaired these .drained tank, dried it out.. refitted tank refilled with real fuel ..it shuddered into life......rode for a while then started missing... mate plugged it in an said an injector was misbehaving. looked at the cost of an injector from triumph an nearly died.
question here is....honda civic injectors look the same and as long as the resistance is the same in the unit.....anyone know if they will work as new they are only 17 quid
cheers stu

Last edited:
my guess would be that if you had water in the tank you will have water in the fuel rail and injectors.
does it set a code for #1 #2 #3 fuel injector? how do they know it is a bad injector?
i would try to run the water out of it by using a shot of starting fluid a little shot (while running) on each cyl and try to find the one that is missing on.
if it is missing the ecu has to blame something and it is possible it is blaming an injector instead of water being pumped in that cyl.
first determine which cyl is missing (the terminals on the coils like to open up and cause a miss) then it is possible to swap the injectors to see if the problem follows the injector swap.
hth

my guess would be that if you had water in the tank you will have water in the fuel rail and injectors.
does it set a code for #1 #2 #3 fuel injector? how do they know it is a bad injector?
i would try to run the water out of it by using a shot of starting fluid a little shot (while running) on each cyl and try to find the one that is missing on.
if it is missing the ecu has to blame something and it is possible it is blaming an injector instead of water being pumped in that cyl.
first determine which cyl is missing (the terminals on the coils like to open up and cause a miss) then it is possible to swap the injectors to see if the problem follows the injector swap.
hth
like i said the tank was dried out and fuel filter changed..... i have ridden it now for 80 miles since then and the missing goes after a hard run. but returns when the engine isnt being worked hard. the injector rail was also removed and blown through while the tank was being dried and cleaned . as for introducing starter fluid into each injector please explain how in a pressurised sealed fuel system i am meant to do this
the diagnostic system measured the fuel rate at idle and also at 2000 rpm on idle the fuel rate was higher by 3o% than when at 2000 rpm which indicated an injector failing but with the increase in temp with it revving could warn the injector enough to allow the correct operation.

Exactly if there was water in the tank then you will need to drain the entire line including pump assembly in tank and injector rail too
in my reply to previous post i mention the rail was cleaned as well as fuel filter fitted (as pump was out made the drying an cleaning easier) it is possible that the water has caused an infector to play up

If it runs good at higher revs and poorly at idle - are all the vacuum lines in good nick and tight?
If you use TuneECU you can see what the vacuum readings are and this will indicate if there is an issue with vac lines. Vacuum level at low throttle positions controls fueling.
Have you ever replaced the primary TPS?

like i said the tank was dried out and fuel filter changed..... i have ridden it now for 80 miles since then and the missing goes after a hard run. but returns when the engine isnt being worked hard. the injector rail was also removed and blown through while the tank was being dried and cleaned . as for introducing starter fluid into each injector please explain how in a pressurised sealed fuel system i am meant to do this
the diagnostic system measured the fuel rate at idle and also at 2000 rpm on idle the fuel rate was higher by 3o% than when at 2000 rpm which indicated an injector failing but with the increase in temp with it revving could warn the injector enough to allow the correct operation.

allow me to explain if you had a cylinder that was not firing for example #2 then you could give a a shot of starter fluid in the filter (if you have the three filter set up) or into #2 throttle bodie to see if it would start firing on #2.
I would think that the water vent tube (left side of tank ) should be clear to let water drain down the hose and drip on the ground even if the cap rubber was not sealed best check if it is clear or the two hoses may be switched.

If it runs good at higher revs and poorly at idle - are all the vacuum lines in good nick and tight?
If you use TuneECU you can see what the vacuum readings are and this will indicate if there is an issue with vac lines. Vacuum level at low throttle positions controls fueling.
Have you ever replaced the primary TPS?
vac pipes are good and i havent changer changed an throttle sensors ..will do the injectors then if still same send up the road

Last edited:
Back