Today I gathered another piece of data. All the lights on the cluster are working EXCEPT the low fuel indicator light. Got very lucky with the timing on WHEN I ran out of gas, but hey. More data is better, right? Don't know if anything in the fuel sensor could mess with the speedo in any way, but still looking at options before I drop $$ for a fix. Just don't want to go replacing things before I know what is actually wrong, ya know?

On my 07 when I turn on ignition all of the instrument lights turn on for a couple of seconds
Does your gas light turn on ?

On my 07 when I turn on ignition all of the instrument lights turn on for a couple of seconds
Does your gas light turn on ?
The gas light does turn on, so it's not the bulb. Gonna try to trace the wires from under the tank and see if anything is weird.

The gas light does turn on, so it's not the bulb. Gonna try to trace the wires from under the tank and see if anything is weird.

Ok so now I know that from the ecu to dash gas light works.
Next step i to check for 5 volts under tank on connector and ohm check the sensor. Also float may be stuck
This can also be checked at the ecu connector

Possible check with tuneecu? No sure

A few days later: I have updates and "progress" ?
Lifted the tank to check the connection from the Fuel Level Sender and noticed there was electrical tape around where the sender unit plugs into the main harness.:

FuelLevelSendingUnit.jpg

FuelLevelSendingUnitConnection.jpg

I pull the take off and unplug the Level Sender completely and try the key on and ignition on. With the sender unplugged the Fuel Light came on! Plug it back in and tried key/ignition again and the fuel needle moves up to normal level, fuel light goes off, and I have an estimated milage left show up on the dash. Buttoned everything back up and did a quick test ride: fuel gauge works, speedo doesn't still. Any good way to sure up that connector? Don't want to solder it in case I want to fully remove the tank.

GaugeWithFuelMeasured.jpg

i use electrical tape to cover exposed wire for varmit protection.

Back