brsmits

BRB, on adventure...
Ride
2013 R3T, "Trinity"
Recently installed a Lithium Battery after taking a 9 month hiatus and did a few laps of the Valley. ~20 miles. Everything was going good until both the speedo and fuel gauge just died mid ride. Bike rode the same all the way home. I did take note that after the speedo died, the odometer and trip meter didn't add any more mileage. I've confirmed this by doing a few short rides to test functionality. Fuel read empty and speedo read 0 mph. All the lights on the cluster still work just fine though. Turn signals, oil pressure, check engine, high beam, etc: all indicate as they should. I've done some digging with the search function and have come up with it MAYBE being the road speed sensor going out. Another post shows some issues with the wires getting smashed and repaired, but I couldn't find any damage to mine. I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation that this sensor is the most likely culprit for my woes. Any thoughts?

on our regular rockets when the clutch switch stays on or shorted the fuel gauge doesn,t work.
the test is try and start in neutral without pulling the clutch in.
also do a check on electrical. horn, tail lite, turn signal brake lite ect.
if some of these r not working u may have bad fuse.
hth

Recently installed a Lithium Battery after taking a 9 month hiatus and did a few laps of the Valley. ~20 miles. Everything was going good until both the speedo and fuel gauge just died mid ride. Bike rode the same all the way home. I did take note that after the speedo died, the odometer and trip meter didn't add any more mileage. I've confirmed this by doing a few short rides to test functionality. Fuel read empty and speedo read 0 mph. All the lights on the cluster still work just fine though. Turn signals, oil pressure, check engine, high beam, etc: all indicate as they should. I've done some digging with the search function and have come up with it MAYBE being the road speed sensor going out. Another post shows some issues with the wires getting smashed and repaired, but I couldn't find any damage to mine. I'm just looking for a bit of confirmation that this sensor is the most likely culprit for my woes. Any thoughts?
Is it the ABS model?

If all else fails I have a couple of pre-ABS 2008-2012/13 MPH US spec R3T speedo instrument clusters, one is used complete with chrome and the other new one is just the speedo cluster.

Clutch thing: Bike off, put it in neutral, did not squeeze clutch, and tried to start it. Nothing happened, so I'm guessing the clutch switch is good.
ABS model: No ABS

clutch switch good
I took off the gauge cluster and checked the wires on the back, everything looked clean. I'm going back to thinking it's that road speed sensor. Just want other opinions before I drop a chunk of money on a sensor.

I took off the gauge cluster and checked the wires on the back, everything looked clean. I'm going back to thinking it's that road speed sensor. Just want other opinions before I drop a chunk of money on a sensor.
not likely the sensor
u can look at the sensor check for cracks/wiring and make sure the rotor is not bent
it can be checked at the ecu with a scope and wheel turning
more than likely the prob is the speedo head

@Bow has been trying to sell his MPH new one for a while now ..........seems a good price too!

Now for €180 summer sale

Today I gathered another piece of data. All the lights on the cluster are working EXCEPT the low fuel indicator light. Got very lucky with the timing on WHEN I ran out of gas, but hey. More data is better, right? Don't know if anything in the fuel sensor could mess with the speedo in any way, but still looking at options before I drop $$ for a fix. Just don't want to go replacing things before I know what is actually wrong, ya know?

Back