I need help, I really am starting to hate my new Rocket GT

Hello Rocket lovers..... I do count myself in with you all and have recently purchased my new Rocket 3 GT. It is actually my 4th Rocket overall having owned the touring model, the base model, the R model, and now the GT model. The bike is beautiful, there is nothing more to say about that. But I am mad as hell at a couple of things that hopefully I can get some help on. I use my bike everyday for about an hour trip to work and and hour back. I absolutely love riding and do so in all weather albeit rain or sunshine, hot or cold. Riding is the only vise I have and I wouldn't give it up for the world. My gripes about the new Rocket. What the hell it Triumph calling the GT a touring model but not make a decent windshield for the bike. Let's be for real, there is no adequate windshield on the market for this thing. I have bought 3 different ones so far and all prove grossly inadequate. What a **** show the windshield thing is and it makes no **** sense. If anyone knows of one please help me, I desperately need one. Fork wind deflectors would be great to but I can't find those neither. The seat on this thing is probably the worst seat in motorcycling. Who the hell designed this **** thing. To do any real distance riding, your ass aint doing it on this thing with that tailbone killer cushion on it. I had to put in a corbin just to ride the thing. Lastly these foot pegs, HOLY **** what a mess. I removed the forward controls and put in mid controls, but your feet are still too forward and your ass takes all the bumps of the road. Throw the sport mode of driving out the window cause every bump you feel right into your kidneys. Why wouldn't Triumph just put the pegs a little further back so you can get your weight up off your ass when you see a bump coming. Again, who the hell designed this thing. How can you fall so short on such a beautiful machine. You can't even put on an engine gaurd or highway pegs to stretch your legs on those long rides. I have had my GT now for 4 months and I have tried to get myself to like it but I just can't get comfortable on it no matter how hard I try. My last rocket, and R model with the touring seat and back rest, engine gaurd with highway pegs and a great windshield was the most comfortable bike, and I really mean that, I have ever ridden. Even better than the Harley Heritage I have owned before. I could literally sleep in that seat it was so comfortable. Unfortunately a kid in a truck took that bike from me. If anyone has any ideas short of spending another few thousand dollars on some R&D foot pegs, highway pegs and a custom manufactured windshield I would be so appreciative. I am thinking of just selling it and taking the loss I am so upset with this bike. Thanks for the listen and sorry so negative. It just brakes my heart I can't get into this bike I dreamed of owning since the TFC model came out. Take care and Ride long.......
CASCI on eBay has a functional windshield for under $250.
just road from Colorado to Florida without a problem

Not that i want to get in a shyte fight over names but i always thought 'GT' on a vehicle was "Gran Turismo"...meaning it was a fast vehicle with some very nice xtras..making it a step better than a standard machine...There are numerous examples in the car world. So, in these new Rockets we have an 'R' model for roadster and a 'GT' for Gran Turismo...afterall it has a few extras that the 'R' model dosn't have...makes sense to me.
Calling it a 'GT' dosnt mean it's a Tourer as Triumph dont make tourer's now...it's not their thing. If People want a tourer with Windshields, big luggage capacity,radios, aerials etc then there are other bikes to choose from....many...just my opinion.

Pretty much what I was going to say. If a Rocket is so wrong then clearly it’s the wrong bike. There’s plenty of options out there with horrible ugly big screens, enormous panniers and mid mounted pegs and maybe that‘s what the OP should have bought. All I’m seeing is akin to complaining they’re no good off road either. They are what they are and that’s pretty much what the vast majority of owners want.

It really boils down to what a man calls a touring machine. The older model has a "Touring" bike but when I look at it I still do not think it is a tourer for me. I guess i think of the fu;; fairing bikes with all the bags and tour pack with luggage rack and lowers. Most guys on these bike have music and sat nav with all kinds of bike information to display at the push of a button.

I think some guys just want that big motor and they buy for that realizing that it takes more than that to please them. I do hope the OP does find solutions to his issues.

Hello Rocket lovers..... I do count myself in with you all and have recently purchased my new Rocket 3 GT. It is actually my 4th Rocket overall having owned the touring model, the base model, the R model, and now the GT model. The bike is beautiful, there is nothing more to say about that. But I am mad as hell at a couple of things that hopefully I can get some help on. I use my bike everyday for about an hour trip to work and and hour back. I absolutely love riding and do so in all weather albeit rain or sunshine, hot or cold. Riding is the only vise I have and I wouldn't give it up for the world. My gripes about the new Rocket. What the hell it Triumph calling the GT a touring model but not make a decent windshield for the bike. Let's be for real, there is no adequate windshield on the market for this thing. I have bought 3 different ones so far and all prove grossly inadequate. What a **** show the windshield thing is and it makes no **** sense. If anyone knows of one please help me, I desperately need one. Fork wind deflectors would be great to but I can't find those neither. The seat on this thing is probably the worst seat in motorcycling. Who the hell designed this **** thing. To do any real distance riding, your ass aint doing it on this thing with that tailbone killer cushion on it. I had to put in a corbin just to ride the thing. Lastly these foot pegs, HOLY **** what a mess. I removed the forward controls and put in mid controls, but your feet are still too forward and your ass takes all the bumps of the road. Throw the sport mode of driving out the window cause every bump you feel right into your kidneys. Why wouldn't Triumph just put the pegs a little further back so you can get your weight up off your ass when you see a bump coming. Again, who the hell designed this thing. How can you fall so short on such a beautiful machine. You can't even put on an engine gaurd or highway pegs to stretch your legs on those long rides. I have had my GT now for 4 months and I have tried to get myself to like it but I just can't get comfortable on it no matter how hard I try. My last rocket, and R model with the touring seat and back rest, engine gaurd with highway pegs and a great windshield was the most comfortable bike, and I really mean that, I have ever ridden. Even better than the Harley Heritage I have owned before. I could literally sleep in that seat it was so comfortable. Unfortunately a kid in a truck took that bike from me. If anyone has any ideas short of spending another few thousand dollars on some R&D foot pegs, highway pegs and a custom manufactured windshield I would be so appreciative. I am thinking of just selling it and taking the loss I am so upset with this bike. Thanks for the listen and sorry so negative. It just brakes my heart I can't get into this bike I dreamed of owning since the TFC model came out. Take care and Ride long.......
i can see you are in the US but there are a few touring screens in the UK from aftermarket makers. i would be sure you guys would have some too?

I have improved on all three issues to my satisfaction. I find the MADSTAD brackets with GP Compozit windshield allows me to ride with an open face at highway speeds. Adjusts to different positions as well and I think it looks good. I have the Rox Risers installed since this pic. I have installed a gel seat under a black sheep skin and added passenger luggage that acts like the back of a lounge chair when riding. Even an adjustable lumbar pad stolen from a lounge chair:). I have moved the controls to mid range so I can ride it like a dirt or sport bike at will, and jerry-rigged up highway pegs from the control conversion kit bits. I find them positioned just right. Do not give up:) I'm planning a long moto-camping trip next summer. (I added an integrated dashcam (with rear camera) and some projector HIDs as well).

Attachments

• madstad brackets and GP Compozit Windscreen.jpg
    madstad brackets and GP Compozit Windscreen.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 32
  • footpeg iii.jpg
    footpeg iii.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 33
  • luggage.jpg
    luggage.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 31
  • luggageii.jpg
    luggageii.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I've posted this one before. :) The one on the right is the OEM, the one on the left is the taller one that comes from Madstad and the center is the GP Compozit. The Madstad screen looks like it would provide a lot of protection but I thought it was a bit too generic looking. The GP Compozit came with some mounts but they were non-adjustable wedges and may not have interrupted the airflow enough. (TBH, I did not try the GP mounts as I had the Madstad's which are high quality metal mounts and adjustable.)

Attachments

• windscreens2.jpg
    windscreens2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 16
I have improved on all three issues to my satisfaction. I find the MADSTAD brackets with GP Compozit windshield allows me to ride with an open face at highway speeds. Adjusts to different positions as well and I think it looks good. I have the Rox Risers installed since this pic. I have installed a gel seat under a black sheep skin and added passenger luggage that acts like the back of a lounge chair when riding. Even an adjustable lumbar pad stolen from a lounge chair:). I have moved the controls to mid range so I can ride it like a dirt or sport bike at will, and jerry-rigged up highway pegs from the control conversion kit bits. I find them positioned just right. Do not give up:) I'm planning a long moto-camping trip next summer. (I added an integrated dashcam (with rear camera) and some projector HIDs as well).
I am sure that does fix your issues and I really like the way you made the forward pegs. I will restate my opinion that if a bike needs this much modification it means it really was not set up real touring. These bikes are sport cruisers to me.

I am sure that does fix your issues and I really like the way you made the forward pegs. I will restate my opinion that if a bike needs this much modification it means it really was not set up real touring. These bikes are sport cruisers to me.
I might add touring if it's a day or two and in the area of 500 to 800 miles. Anything over that the wind, sitting stance, legs stuck forward or back in one position and limited space for luggage for longer trips is a draw back. One could go long distance and be fine but no where near the luxury of a bonified touring bike. If we were all 24 again it would qualify as a great touring bike.:thumbsup:

I can’t specifically help since I’ve never even seen one of these new Rockets in person, I can however tell you that with my 2008 touring, my biggest complaint about it was that it was not an actual touring motorcycle and the parts were very hard to find for it, so we share that.
I rode it across several states and it was adequate, I then went to a roadster for a couple years, I also rode it across several states, again it was fine but just not that comfortable of a motorcycle for my old bones, I went to the full touring Indian and absolutely loved it, after five years on an Indian I did the unthinkable stupid thing and traded it for a 2021 Harley Road Glide which like you I’ve tried to like, but I just find it boring, I rode it from Ca to Texas a few months ago, it was fine but nowhere in the same class as the Indian, As soon as I get a chance the Harley will be gone and I will be back on an Indian,

I hope you get your problems sorted

Last edited:
Back