Hot Rear Brakes

Yeah, I like that guy, Delboy. He shows lots of ways to do things when you don't necessarily have the "proper" manufacturer's tool. He also seems to do a lot of work on Triumphs. One of the first things I saw from him, I think, was how to clean the calipers. Before that I had never thought of it.

@1K9 I'm not sure (?) you necessarily need new pistons IF the rust is just on the tips where it contact the pads. The problem is when it is pitted where it would come in contact with the seal. If in doubt, get the kit with the pistons, but if once you clean them they look slick and shinny further back, you should be OK.

I just ordered a seal kit for the rear (already have the front), have brake fluid, and now just need some new shoes for the rear. It's hard to find rebuild kits in the US for the rear. This one I just ordered is from England, but with free shipping and will get here pretty quick....

Triumph Rocket 3 04-14 rear brake caliper seal repair rebuild kit 2012 2013 2014 | eBay

Sounds like I'll see you in Maggie Valley. Yeah, good to have those brakes working in top form on the rides around here.

Yeah, I like that guy, Delboy. He shows lots of ways to do things when you don't necessarily have the "proper" manufacturer's tool. He also seems to do a lot of work on Triumphs. One of the first things I saw from him, I think, was how to clean the calipers. Before that I had never thought of it.

@1K9 I'm not sure (?) you necessarily need new pistons IF the rust is just on the tips where it contact the pads. The problem is when it is pitted where it would come in contact with the seal. If in doubt, get the kit with the pistons, but if once you clean them they look slick and shinny further back, you should be OK.

I just ordered a seal kit for the rear (already have the front), have brake fluid, and now just need some new shoes for the rear. It's hard to find rebuild kits in the US for the rear. This one I just ordered is from England, but with free shipping and will get here pretty quick....

Triumph Rocket 3 04-14 rear brake caliper seal repair rebuild kit 2012 2013 2014 | eBay

Sounds like I'll see you in Maggie Valley. Yeah, good to have those brakes working in top form on the rides around here.

The rust seems to be just in the last 2 or 3 mill where the piston is exposed. The only way to know is to tear it apart.

With the rear tire in the air, gear in neutral, pump the rear pedal 10-15 times. Then immediately try to turn the rear wheel. If it doesn't turn, or it drags you have one or both problems... bad line holding pressure too long or a sticking caliper.

Air in the lines will make it feel spongy, should not hold pressure.

Im thinking I got a sticking problem :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Are the Star pattern and Hex pattern bolts interchangeable to fit all Roadster/Classic >2004?

The torque settings on these things plus the blue gue that is on them almost guarantees a stripped bolt. Star bolt head is a better design for the application.

Are the Star pattern and Hex pattern bolts interchangeable to fit all Roadster/Classic >2004?

The torque settings on these things plus the blue gue that is on them almost guarantees a stripped bolt. Star bolt head is a better design for the application.
If its the same material and size thread I'd say same torque. You should see if @1olbull who has a roadster manual would give to the torque number so you can compare with the older manual. And let us know buddy .

If its the same material and size thread I'd say same torque. You should see if @1olbull who has a roadster manual would give to the torque number so you can compare with the older manual. And let us know buddy .

FYI - if you want the Roadster Manual Supplement, go to @idk to get it as I sent it to him.

10 buck for a spare set. How many of these bolt heads have you seen busted by muscle. Almost have the front Mich Pilot Rolling safe.

bolts.jpeg

Last edited:
Back