Help me understand,...

I remember cheap generators that job St ran flat out all the time I think most good ones have an on demand governor, mine does, it idles down when there's no draw/demand.

I remember cheap generators that job St ran flat out all the time I think most good ones have an on demand governor, mine does, it idles down when there's no draw/demand.
Correct it probably is reflected in the purchase price. Now speculating the scooters were older I would be currious as to is it really wide open or is it at a point where it does not develope anymore. And because its not some sophisticated scooter with a ecu and a mess of sensors is it just at its limit and can't suck anymore fuel and air to increase the rpm then?

I thought that's what my Touring was, it's been a while since it was stock, but somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe 5500? They have no tachometer, :rolleyes:, so not positive
6500 or 6700 would be closer, mine was set to 7000.

I think the Touring was a little lower, but again, no tach, so you may be right, I added one along with the Carpenter package, so no before and after to compare to.

Dont tell anybody
20200102_122530.jpg
My hero.:thumbsup:

Motorcycle and scooter engines designed to run wide open, like a generator does:eek::eek::eek:.
I was looking at bikes the other day and i ran across and old Honda Helix 250 scooter, told the salesman that i used to see them all the time, the owner, which used to own a motorcycle dealership here in town still owns 8 or 9 of them, he loves them.
The one with the most miles has 170,000 miles and for a 250 that is very impressive, he said the oil was changed every 2000 miles including filter and never rode over 55 mph.
The thing that caught my attention the most, he stated that the Helix can run WIDE OPEN for long time, can not remember the term he used, it was either "no duty cycle" or "open cycle" he said it was stated in the owners' manual.
I went to a different place and looked at a small bike and the salesman told me the same thing about that little bike.
Never heard that before but somewhere it makes sense since most generators run wide open, i assume other engines are capable of the same thing.
Lets hear it from the gurus:)

Very few things run "wide open". That being defined as full opening to a throttle venturi. Most utility gen sets are governed to either 1800 or 3600 rpm to assure 60 cycle power (USA). Small one/two cylinder utility gas motor governors are mostly now a flyweight set-up driven off the camshaft. Most direct injection diesels are governed in the injection pump. I suspect you scooter is "governed" also - i.e. the throttle grip actuates the venturi via a set of levers, springs and governor to assure it will not go above a set rpm.

So in most cases "wide open" is the maximum governed engine speed

Very few things run "wide open". That being defined as full opening to a throttle venturi. Most utility gen sets are governed to either 1800 or 3600 rpm to assure 60 cycle power (USA). Small one/two cylinder utility gas motor governors are mostly now a flyweight set-up driven off the camshaft. Most direct injection diesels are governed in the injection pump. I suspect you scooter is "governed" also - i.e. the throttle grip actuates the venturi via a set of levers, springs and governor to assure it will not go above a set rpm.

So in most cases "wide open" is the maximum governed engine speed
You my friend, sound like a guru:thumbsup:

Motorcycle and scooter engines designed to run wide open, like a generator does:eek::eek::eek:.
I was looking at bikes the other day and i ran across and old Honda Helix 250 scooter, told the salesman that i used to see them all the time, the owner, which used to own a motorcycle dealership here in town still owns 8 or 9 of them, he loves them.
The one with the most miles has 170,000 miles and for a 250 that is very impressive, he said the oil was changed every 2000 miles including filter and never rode over 55 mph.
The thing that caught my attention the most, he stated that the Helix can run WIDE OPEN for long time, can not remember the term he used, it was either "no duty cycle" or "open cycle" he said it was stated in the owners' manual.
I went to a different place and looked at a small bike and the salesman told me the same thing about that little bike.
Never heard that before but somewhere it makes sense since most generators run wide open, i assume other engines are capable of the same thing.
Lets hear it from the gurus:)
When I started running backhoes many years ago my grizzled old guy that taught me said they are either all the way on or off. You have better control of the hydraulics if running correctly and tear out less stuff.

Back