Help me understand,...

mexican

Living Legend
Ride
2015 Rocket X
Motorcycle and scooter engines designed to run wide open, like a generator does:eek::eek::eek:.
I was looking at bikes the other day and i ran across and old Honda Helix 250 scooter, told the salesman that i used to see them all the time, the owner, which used to own a motorcycle dealership here in town still owns 8 or 9 of them, he loves them.
The one with the most miles has 170,000 miles and for a 250 that is very impressive, he said the oil was changed every 2000 miles including filter and never rode over 55 mph.
The thing that caught my attention the most, he stated that the Helix can run WIDE OPEN for long time, can not remember the term he used, it was either "no duty cycle" or "open cycle" he said it was stated in the owners' manual.
I went to a different place and looked at a small bike and the salesman told me the same thing about that little bike.
Never heard that before but somewhere it makes sense since most generators run wide open, i assume other engines are capable of the same thing.
Lets hear it from the gurus:)

I think generators just have a governor set at the optimum rpm. That does not mean that motor could not run faster if were set that way. The term wide open can mean different things.

Oh I’m sorry I responded I’m not a guru.

What they told me is that those bikes can run with a wide open throttle and max speed would be crusie speed, which means, i can ride at max speed all day longo_O

What they told me is that those bikes can run with a wide open throttle and max speed would be crusie speed, which means, i can ride at max speed all day longo_O
All you have to do is set the fuel delivery so at wide open a limited amount of fuel is delivered. So technically you are wide open but not a the engines maximum potential. So it comes down to a definition of what constitutes wide open.

So yes that bike is wide open if it is designed that way.

All you have to do is set the fuel delivery so at wide open a limited amount of fuel is delivered. So technically you are wide open but not a the engines maximum potential. So it comes down to a definition of what constitutes wide open.

So yes that bike is wide open if it is designed that way.
Makes sense the way you explain it:)

Back