Not yet, got busy over weekend with plumbing issues that couldn't wait. Will be checking for power at dimmer switch next and work from there. Will keep informed on progress
I have now pulled the dimmer switch apart and I have no power there, lifted the tank now and removed side covers for access to the relays, not real sure where to go from here. Doesn't seem to be a relay for the headlights according to the manual.

There are two relays on the right side and three relays on the left;
the one that feeds the headlights is on the right side;
of the two relays. one has three wires - this is the Turn Signal Relay;
the other is the headlight/starter Relay;
the headlight/starter relay receives power from Fuse 9 on the Blue/Yellow wire when the key-switch is on;
it outputs through the Normally Closed Terminal on the Blue wire o the headlight circuit when the relay is unenergized;
When the relay turns on (when the starter switch is operated) it transfers power through the normally open contact via the black wire to the starter solenoid and fires the starter, simultaneously breaking power to the headlight circuit.

If bike is starting you therefor MUST have power through the key-switch and fuse 9 and the relay is functioning with the starter switch to transfer that power to the starter.
It is possible there is a burned connection on the normally closed contact of the relay - or the Blue Wire is broken;
so check for 12V at the Blue wire (this will be the centre pin of the 5 of the relay) - note that key-switch must be on and the relay must be installed.
The other conceivable issue is that this location has the wrong relay installed - this one MUST be a 5-pin relay - if you have a 4-pin in that position then indeed starter would operate normally but you have no lights.

If you DO have 12V at the blue wire, that then goes to the connector that goes to the Left Switch assembly - is Blue on pin 10 at the main harness side, switches to Blue/Yellow on the side going up to the switch.
Check the connector set for either burned terminals or broken wires (or simply unplugged - sometimes the latch that locks them together gets broken)

There are two relays on the right side and three relays on the left;
the one that feeds the headlights is on the right side;
of the two relays. one has three wires - this is the Turn Signal Relay;
the other is the headlight/starter Relay;
the headlight/starter relay receives power from Fuse 9 on the Blue/Yellow wire when the key-switch is on;
it outputs through the Normally Closed Terminal on the Blue wire o the headlight circuit when the relay is unenergized;
When the relay turns on (when the starter switch is operated) it transfers power through the normally open contact via the black wire to the starter solenoid and fires the starter, simultaneously breaking power to the headlight circuit.

If bike is starting you therefor MUST have power through the key-switch and fuse 9 and the relay is functioning with the starter switch to transfer that power to the starter.
It is possible there is a burned connection on the normally closed contact of the relay - or the Blue Wire is broken;
so check for 12V at the Blue wire (this will be the centre pin of the 5 of the relay) - note that key-switch must be on and the relay must be installed.
The other conceivable issue is that this location has the wrong relay installed - this one MUST be a 5-pin relay - if you have a 4-pin in that position then indeed starter would operate normally but you have no lights.

If you DO have 12V at the blue wire, that then goes to the connector that goes to the Left Switch assembly - is Blue on pin 10 at the main harness side, switches to Blue/Yellow on the side going up to the switch.
Check the connector set for either burned terminals or broken wires (or simply unplugged - sometimes the latch that locks them together gets broken)
Thanks for the information, I'll shut myself in the shed next opportunity with armed with this information and my test light and see what I can find. I have a manual on pdf but was struggling with where to actually stick the test light.

Did you look for a orange wire going to the battery!

No orange wire there, all original by the looks

This would be in reference to whether a headlight bypass relay kit was installed:
The Blue light is not coming on with high beam, nor is there are any measured power at the dimmer switch;
therefor even if a bypass kit WAS installed, it is not the problem
(i.e. even if a headlight kit WAS installed, if its fuse was blown, the blue light should still operate in high beam, even if the lights themselves would not - therefor the problem is in the OEM circuit)

DEcosse u would be great at writing supplement pages to the rocket manual. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
there have been a few cases of the retaining bracket braking and the relays turning upside down then getting water in them. if it was me i would be ordering the starter relay now. if that is not the problem it is always good to have a spare.

assuming that u don't see anything wrong at the relay. u can remove relay then (with extra wire) connect the blue/yellow wire with the blue wire to see if headlights come on. if after u cross over it works then the relay is bad.

Back