Coighty

.020 Over
Ride
rocket 3 classic
Just hoping for some direction, got home on dusk and noticed my lights where very dull, found my headlights not working at all (only parking lights). No lowbeam or highbeam and no blue highbeam light on dash. Checked fuse and globe, where ok. Everything else working normally, park lights ok, starts ok, runs fine. Searched other threads and got allot of ignition switch stuff but my bike starts and runs fine. Just hoping someone out there has had the same issue and what the problem turned out too be. Thinking a relay or maybe low/high beam switch?

Thanks Coighty

The only relay that does anything in the lighting circuit is the starter relay,an it just kills dip beam when starter is depressed.

From what I have read, there is a relay that cuts power to the headlights when starter button is pressed. I've never noticed if the headlights went out when starting and can't check if this is the case now obviously as they are not working at all.

The only relay that does anything in the lighting circuit is the starter relay,an it just kills dip beam when starter is depressed.
Do you have any more information? When you say it kills dip beam when starting, do you mean the main headlights? If this relay failed in the open circuit position, that would result in headlights remaining off? Sounds like something for me to look into anyway, just need to find the correct relay if it does exist.

yes entirely possible could be a bad starter relay like has been said.just as likely it is a bad headlight dimmer switch. if it has not been modified the power runs through the starter relay and then to the dimmer switch then to hi & low beam headlights.
i think that i had taken mine apart and powered the hi and low lights when i had a problem with one of the headlight connectors.
if u know what u r doing u can check power at the starter relay also. if u need help just give us a holler

It actually kills headlights (when starter operated) regardless of whether in dip (low) or main (high) beam
I would suggest it would be unlikely to be the headlight-cut/starter relay - that uses the normally closed contact so doesn't require to be energized to complete the circuit - the contacts would have to be severely pitted or oxidized to not make the circuit. But not impossible either.
If the starter runs, then nothing wrong with fuse or the key-switch as those are common for both headlights and starter circuits;
Have you owned this bike since new? One common mod is a headlight relay kit - if one of those was fitted by a previous owner, they have their own supply fuse and that may well be blown
Otherwise as TURBO200R4 suggests, it could be problem in the switch

It actually kills headlights (when starter operated) regardless of whether in dip (low) or main (high) beam
I would suggest it would be unlikely to be the headlight-cut/starter relay - that uses the normally closed contact so doesn't require to be energized to complete the circuit - the contacts would have to be severely pitted or oxidized to not make the circuit. But not impossible either.
If the starter runs, then nothing wrong with fuse or the key-switch as those are common for both headlights and starter circuits;
Have you owned this bike since new? One common mod is a headlight relay kit - if one of those was fitted by a previous owner, they have their own supply fuse and that may well be blown
I have not had the bike from new. I have however had the tank off, replaced spark plugs ECT. Had a good look around and pritty sure that everything is standard. Think I will open the dimmer switch and have a look, prod around with the test light on the weekend and see what I can find.
Cheers

Look under your seat for a orange wire going to the battery positive side. If you have the eastern beaver bypass on the bike it will have this wire there will be a inline fuse. Check it and it will have a blown fuse. Do not ask me how I know this :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: Thanks Ken for all your help :D

Back