DO YOU OUTRIDE YOUR HEADLIGHTS?

If you want to light up your world these are by far the best and brightest. I don't have crash bars on the Rocket but if i did I'd have a set of these. Have them on my RK. I was staying at Devils Tower while visiting Stugis Bike Week it was an almost 80 mile ride back in the dark. There were probably deer every 1000+- feet on the side of the road. These give you a good range of lighting left and right also..

What lights are they?

The best headlights you can find and afford to put on your bike is the best way to go, no doubt. But it seems deer are either stupid, or just wanna mess with ya. Your lights can be 600, 800, 1,000 feet out, yippie. But way to often the fark'n deer chooses to wait 'till the last second to jump out from the under growth or from behind a tree, then in front of you. I try not to ride at night....

Ah yes - some maths. I love it.
Assuming a headlight is CORRECTLY adjusted such that in main beam the light shines out at 90° to the vertical axis: the dip will thus point down by 1.5° (90MOA) or 26.18 milliradians (if it is E marked). Lets say 26 miliradians coz metric is easier.
So for every metre the maximal height of a dip beam from mother earth will reduce 26mm ( approx inch for the colonials) every metre (39"). So at 10m it is 260mm (10") lower.
If we assume 1metre high headlights - then the beam by simple maths wont get out much further than 40metres. Of course - the world is not entirely flat but ..........
If the lights are mounted lower - their reach is lessened but they will appear more intense - if higher more reach but less intense. That **** inverse square thing again.
One "issue" with LED lights is the VERY sharp cut-off twixt LIT and NOT LIT. And it's especially an issue on Centre-Dip pattern lights which have no near side additional throw.
Some of us naturally cheat a bit and mount lights pointing upwards a bit. Or cant their fogs up at the edges. Some bassturd must have moved them officer.

If you wish some technical dope about measuring headlights, please check out this definitive, peer reviewed, Society of Automotive Engineers Paper.
Tis 13 pages and too much work for me to convert from PDF to JPG in order to post into this forum.
I would send it to an interested party that PMs me his email.
Visibility-Distance-with-Headlights.jpg

@sonny
Even with Daymakers and rider acute attention, 60 mph is flirting with danger.
Perception-Response = about 176 feet plus stop distance = minimum 200 feet.
Daymakers-R3R pix.jpg

@TRIIICK
How do you know they are the "brightest"?
What are the make and model?

@Willyone
Correctamundo, Amigo, but best headlights possible will help mitigate that likelihood.

Last edited:
The best headlights you can find and afford to put on your bike is the best way to go, no doubt. But it seems deer are either stupid, or just wanna mess with ya. Your lights can be 600, 800, 1,000 feet out, yippie. But way to often the fark'n deer chooses to wait 'till the last second to jump out from the under growth or from behind a tree, then in front of you. I try not to ride at night....
I have rode the last 15 years back and forth from Henryetta to Tulsa both day shift and night shift. Day shift you leave the house very early. Day break by arrival time. Very dangerous. Night shift not so bad. Leave during daylight and come home before 2:00 AM most of the time. From around 4:00 AM to daybreak is the worst. The deer and other critters seem to be most active during this time frame. Even so prefer to ride.

good excuse and here I thought it was because you couldn't stand up by then :D

Well, yeah, there's that, too. Dropped the poor K1200 again after a session with Dan two weeks ago, doing a U-turn. Picked it up too far and dropped it on the other side for good measure. It's 150 lbs lighter than the Rocket, but COG is way higher, bad knees and alcohol took care of the rest.

Back