Do I feel lucky? Well do ya punk?

Depends on you're risk tolerance.

If it will bug you knowing the 3rd gear circlip can dislodge at any moment, causing simultaneous engagement and carnage of 3rd and 4th gears whilst creating a risk of rear tire lockup while moving and creating a potentially fatal accident, then yeah, upgrade.

If you are one of those people who that won't bother, skip it and fix it when it breaks.

I did mine because when I want to ride/drive the hell out of a vehicle, I want to be thinking about what I'm doing and not if it's going to survive.
After viewing the carnage from the photos on this and the other R3 site, it was always in the back of my mind every time i rode. I Just needed a little encouragement (which you just gave me in the above sentence, "skip it and fix it WHEN it breaks."). On the plus side, it makes it easier to upgrade the engine when free from the frame.

Now that I have your attention, I need some grownup advice. I am going to build up my 2014 Roadster with the Lush 200 hp kit. Since I will be into the bottom and top of the engine, should I just pull the engine, open it up, and send the transmission inards to Robinson for upgrade, or I just complete the build and ride on? Seems like a crap shoot, pay now and upgrade, or wait for a possible catastrophic transmission failure and upgrade.

Old Clint sure did get his attention too....

Honestly, it's not that difficult if you have tools, space, and some time. Just follow the manual, pull the engine, split the cases, and pull the trans out. Ship the whole input/output shafts to Robinson Industries and they'll ship back fully assembled input/output shafts that just drop in. My suggestion is to read the relevant manual sections a few times before starting :)

Then it's just a matter of putting it back together and riding with certainty that it will not turn into a grenade under you.

You will need a good torque wrench, the Triumph special tool for flywheel pulling, anaerobic sealant, red and blue Loctite, front cover gasket, flywheel cover gasket, and output cover gasket. but otherwise, it's just a matter of unbolting and bolting up some stuff. I didn't even remove the head or loosen the timing chain when I did mine. Keep something on hand so you can cover/seal the engine while the cases are split and you're waiting for the parts to return to keep dirt/dust out.

You do not need: A clutch special tool to keep it stationary, a flywheel lever special tool, new big end/main bearings (if yours are good), or new internal bearings if yours are good.

After viewing the carnage from the photos on this and the other R3 site, it was always in the back of my mind every time i rode. I Just needed a little encouragement (which you just gave me in the above sentence, "skip it and fix it WHEN it breaks."). On the plus side, it makes it easier to upgrade the engine when free from the frame.
By all appearances, it looks like the other site has bitten the dust?

Honestly, it's not that difficult if you have tools, space, and some time. Just follow the manual, pull the engine, split the cases, and pull the trans out. Ship the whole input/output shafts to Robinson Industries and they'll ship back fully assembled input/output shafts that just drop in. My suggestion is to read the relevant manual sections a few times before starting :)

Then it's just a matter of putting it back together and riding with certainty that it will not turn into a grenade under you.

You will need a good torque wrench, the Triumph special tool for flywheel pulling, anaerobic sealant, red and blue Loctite, front cover gasket, flywheel cover gasket, and output cover gasket. but otherwise, it's just a matter of unbolting and bolting up some stuff. I didn't even remove the head or loosen the timing chain when I did mine. Keep something on hand so you can cover/seal the engine while the cases are split and you're waiting for the parts to return to keep dirt/dust out.

You do not need: A clutch special tool to keep it stationary, a flywheel lever special tool, new big end/main bearings (if yours are good), or new internal bearings if yours are good.
I’m going to copy and print this for my mechanic to read and see if he wants the job over the winter. Thanks.

Approximately how much does this transmission treatment cost? What does Robinson do?

Thanks for all the usefull info. I have ordered all tools necessary for the teardown. I am holding off on ordering parts until I open it up as you never know what else might need replacing. I will be doing an engine upgrade with Neville cams simultaneously.

Back