Jump started bike; have no headlights

jaredmt

.060 Over
Ride
2014 Roadster
Had to jumpstart the bike ... wouldn't quite turn over. It's a 2014 with only 3k miles so I was surprised by that, but still. Hook up my charger/jumper for a few, start it up and off I go. Sun goes down and I notice ... I have no headlights.
Running lights, signals, etc are ok. Hi/low beam indicator won't turn on either. Bike starts/runs fine. Fuse looks to be ok.
The bike has Daymakers.
Ideas?

Dunno.... But do you have the Eastern Beaver relay kit ( or similar)? Maybe an inline type fuse or earth to the EB kit.
Just sugestions

Thanks for the replies guys. I just bought the bike, no relay kit was mentioned but it is possible I suppose.
The fuse looked ok. I'll check the plugs at the lights today. I jumped it with a standard auto battery charger which I've used on bikes a number of times so I "should" be ok that way I suspect.

Sometimes it pays to actually check the fuse with a meter. I've had fuses that looked good but were non-conductive. If you have ~ 12v on either side of the fuse then it is good

a short in the lights would take out the relay. i would check them first and if u know how i would connect a fused hot wire to the relay at the lights connector.u could also have a bad high/low switch.
if u can use a volt meter there are guys that can help u out.

if i was checking it i would take a wire put a fuse in it (connect to bat)and hook it to the lights supply on the relay and if it blows the fuse u have a short. if it does not blow the fuse and the lights don't work the problem is in the high/low switch. if the lights work replace the relay.
this is not 100% but a good starting plan.

Since you're new, there are several relays that we constantly talk about.

1. Starter Relay (Primary) - The Rocket starter circuit is also the headlight circuit. This relay switches the current flow from the headlights to the starter motor when the starter button is pressed. When released it goes back to the light circuit. It is this setup that causes ignition switch failures on early model Rocs. Your 2014 shouldn't be as susceptible to this issue.
  2. Headlight Relay - there are two common references to this
    1. Stock Triumph fix on Roadsters. This was a fix put in place around 2011 to address the ignition switch failures. I don't know the details of it but I do know that you don't benefit from it as much as the next option.
    2. Eastern Beaver Kit (or homebrewed replicas). This kit is the definitive fix to the ignition switch failure issue. The comprises of 2 relays (one low beam, one high beam) that draw power directly from the battery when the appropriate circuit is activated by the handlebar switch. Other than saving your ignition switch, you are blessed with brilliantly bright headlights as the line loss in the circuit is drastically reduced.
  3. Turn Signal Relay - not germane to this conversation but it is also discussed regularly.
  4. Starter Relay (Secondary) - this is an owner installed option that, along with a larger size negative battery cable, greatly improves the starting capability of the battery, especially in cold weather. If you are not already aware, the Roc is notorious for its cold weather starting manners.
These mods are detailed on this site. Good luck in tracking down your issue.

Back