Halo style headlight

The one thing is that the headlights are very directional and there's not a lot of light leakage. And this means that when you lean the bike in to turn, you suddenly fire quite a lot of the light into the pavement rather than up onto the shoulder of the road. That happens with halogen lights also, but they spew so much waste light everywhere it's not nearly as noticeable.

That's what the adaptive JW Speakers solve, by turning on new LED's that light up the shoulder.

But the Vortex lights seem to light up a lot upwards when you put the high beams on compared to JW Speaker non-adaptives, so that might help.
Good info. Just want to make a good choice and determine if I can do it myself...

Not sure what you mean by halo style. Perhaps you should elaborate. :)

There are people here with lights that have halos; if you mean LED reflectors like JW Speaker 8630 with halos then there are definitely people with them.

In general, LED's are a big improvement. The current one to beat would be the JW Speaker 8690 M adaptive, but they have no halo. They are adaptive and light up the side of the road though. Also cost a buttload of cash, but they're currently in a class all to themselves.

Another option to get halos would be a Vision X Vortex 5.75 inch, or a Custom Dynamics Trubeam (same light, different name). Those appear to be pretty great lights, and can be tweaked with an add-on that causes them to fire up both high and low beam at once when using the high beam.

FYI -
NOTE that the "8690 M" is NOT adaptive.
The 8690 A is the correct light.

In the photo the light appears yellow. Is that just the quality of the photo?

He has some chinese LED headlight copies with amber halos, IIRC.

But ignoring the halo thing for a second, any LED headlight which doesn't leak a lot of light upwards will give you some issues in pitch darkness when riding a twisty road. The side of the road in corners will be completely dark and that kind of sucks. Riding in Florida or something where you have straight lines and 90-degree corners it's not a big deal. In the forests of Finland after dark, it's noticeably uncomfortable.

Which is why this was made:

Ah, yeah, once I live in the country I'm sure I'll suffer the same problems.

The halos are amber, very bright, and can be wired as turn/run lights. There is also a white halo built in, that thread I linked has instructions to wire up as you please regarding color.

Ah, yeah, once I live in the country I'm sure I'll suffer the same problems.

The halos are amber, very bright, and can be wired as turn/run lights. There is also a white halo built in, that thread I linked has instructions to wire up as you please regarding color.
Great, thank you

This thread, post number 55 has the ones I and a couple others have used:
Daymaker Type Headlights (Chinese Copies)

Amigo,
They look like copies of the JW Speaker 8630s to me and not the Daymakers.
On the left is the JW Speaker 8630 LED.
On the right is the Daymaker mde by JW Speaker exclusively for Harley.
Both are excellent LEDs, I believe the Daymaker to be a tad stronger reach at 3.2 lux.
At the bottom is a graphic of the new 8690 Adaptive.
Pix_JWS 8630.jpg Pix_Daymaker 67700145.jpg .
8690-Adaptive JW Speaker LED.jpg

Back