GT is Fabulous, Panniers Suck

My opinion again. Triumph made the new Rocket for a targeted crowd. The targeted crowd is not buying the Rocket (from what I have heard and seen). They realize that the chance of the 'targeted crowd' riding in the rain is slim to none. The rear fender and small non-waterproof bags are for show only. Zero practicality. Aftermarket will fix the panniers but that rear fender look is not edgy or hip it's just dumb. Will this keep me from wanting a GT? Hell no!
Trust me Might mOuse, you'll never regret getting the GT..it's a total rush

Did you use the Triumph waterproof cover to wrap the panniers?

So I just returned in the pouring rain from a ride into Vermont so my dealer could do the 500 mile service. First, this is the mostest funnest bike I've ever ridden. I used to describe the original RIII as a 'decathlete' capable of doing the widest spectrum of riding..but this GT smokes the old guy.. it's nimble and light (ok relatively light:)..seems to carve curves all on its lonesome, what I'd call a point and click type bike. The only drawback I've seen ( except grrr for the panniers which I'll get to in a moment) is the virtually naked rear fender results in dirt and road mud being flung up my back and all over the bike.. and I mean ALL OVER the bike.. there was even a pool of mud in the seat. I figger the mud hit the back of my rain jacket and then the tears from the clouds washed it down into the seat where it gathered (and warmed by my buns..maybe it weren't so bad afterall heh heh).
OK on to the panniers. They are positively AWFUL.. don't waste your money on them.. they are small and not waterproof so basically what the hell good are they? I took the precaution of putting some items inside plastic bags and then into the panniers. Good thing I did because when I got home and open the panniers a stream of water came out of them, they were soaked inside (and yes I had their outside covers locked in place). Unfortunately the covers leave the inside of the panniers 'uncovered' ( I'm talking about the outside portion of the panniers nearest the tires).Makes you wonder how Triumph could spend such time and effort building this marvelous machine and then offer up fourth rate accesories like these panniers.

So I wanted to share this with you guys to save you the aggravation and waste of money..wait until someone develops aftermarket WATERPROOF panniers..did I say WATERPROOF, oh yes I did sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I just returned in the pouring rain from a ride into Vermont so my dealer could do the 500 mile service. First, this is the mostest funnest bike I've ever ridden. I used to describe the original RIII as a 'decathlete' capable of doing the widest spectrum of riding..but this GT smokes the old guy.. it's nimble and light (ok relatively light:)..seems to carve curves all on its lonesome, what I'd call a point and click type bike. The only drawback I've seen ( except grrr for the panniers which I'll get to in a moment) is the virtually naked rear fender results in dirt and road mud being flung up my back and all over the bike.. and I mean ALL OVER the bike.. there was even a pool of mud in the seat. I figger the mud hit the back of my rain jacket and then the tears from the clouds washed it down into the seat where it gathered (and warmed by my buns..maybe it weren't so bad afterall heh heh).
OK on to the panniers. They are positively AWFUL.. don't waste your money on them.. they are small and not waterproof so basically what the hell good are they? I took the precaution of putting some items inside plastic bags and then into the panniers. Good thing I did because when I got home and open the panniers a stream of water came out of them, they were soaked inside (and yes I had their outside covers locked in place). Unfortunately the covers leave the inside of the panniers 'uncovered' ( I'm talking about the outside portion of the panniers nearest the tires).Makes you wonder how Triumph could spend such time and effort building this marvelous machine and then offer up fourth rate accesories like these panniers.

So I wanted to share this with you guys to save you the aggravation and waste of money..wait until someone develops aftermarket WATERPROOF panniers..did I say WATERPROOF, oh yes I did sorry.
Hey man, my sentiments about the bags exactly. I tore up one zipper already, and then got a new set and tore up another zipper. I commute I travel I push this machine and the panniera are ****ty. No can do.
I love the bike so much, I have a R3R, I got a R3 GT for my fiancé. And my feelings exactly, it’s the mostest funnest bike I’ve ever had. I’m 55 and I’ve been on 2-wheeled machines going to school , college, and work since I was 17. I do 25,000 miles a year on my array of bikes.
On my R3R, I put the hepko and Becker Orbitz on which are tiny but I’ll manage.
I just finished a big job on my fiance’s R3GT- splurged for Corbin’s bagger-look set up, and I am relatively happy. Both installations, using aftermarket parts and brackets, were an exercise in patience And required some drilling of metal and burring out holes in the supplied brackets to get things to line up properly. Thank goodness I have tools, a motorcycle lift, and my fiancé second set of hands.

If you want, send me your email and I can send you some videos and pictures.

Hey man, my sentiments about the bags exactly. I tore up one zipper already, and then got a new set and tore up another zipper. I commute I travel I push this machine and the panniera are ****ty. No can do.
I love the bike so much, I have a R3R, I got a R3 GT for my fiancé. And my feelings exactly, it’s the mostest funnest bike I’ve ever had. I’m 55 and I’ve been on 2-wheeled machines going to school , college, and work since I was 17. I do 25,000 miles a year on my array of bikes.
On my R3R, I put the hepko and Becker Orbitz on which are tiny but I’ll manage.
I just finished a big job on my fiance’s R3GT- splurged for Corbin’s bagger-look set up, and I am relatively happy. Both installations, using aftermarket parts and brackets, were an exercise in patience And required some drilling of metal and burring out holes in the supplied brackets to get things to line up properly. Thank goodness I have tools, a motorcycle lift, and my fiancé second set of hands.

If you want, send me your email and I can send you some videos and pictures.
Put your pictures on here. We all like to view mods to the bikes!

Is there other options on the panniers ? I’m looking at a bike it has the brackets for the panniers but I’m sure they’re not all interchangeable

i have just purchased a second hand GT and the dealer had to order a new set of Panniers as they didnt have the combo fo the ones on the bike. The set I may be a new version? When you unzip them they have an inner bag with a long velcro seal along the length of the bag. I am lead to beleive that these ensure they are waterproof. I have looked at images on the net and none of the panniers shown seem to have this inner (attached) bag? I have also seen a video that states the original panniers came with a set or waterporrf covers and a carry strap? Although that was a US video and maybe UK spec is different or the ones i have are a new eddition?

i have just purchased a second hand GT and the dealer had to order a new set of Panniers as they didnt have the combo fo the ones on the bike. The set I may be a new version? When you unzip them they have an inner bag with a long velcro seal along the length of the bag. I am lead to beleive that these ensure they are waterproof. I have looked at images on the net and none of the panniers shown seem to have this inner (attached) bag? I have also seen a video that states the original panniers came with a set or waterporrf covers and a carry strap? Although that was a US video and maybe UK spec is different or the ones i have are a new eddition?
Hi, Yes, you appear to have the new panniers. For one thing, they do not make the old ones anymore. The old ones didn't have the waterproof bag integrated but was provided separately. The locking mechs were in a different position as well. Yes, they came with outside covers like shower caps. Can't remember for sure if the new ones came with the covers as I do not use them, however, I do not remember seeing new ones with the new set.

Back