GT is Fabulous, Panniers Suck

DHarvey

.040 Over
Ride
Traded original 04 RIII for R3 GT Grey
So I just returned in the pouring rain from a ride into Vermont so my dealer could do the 500 mile service. First, this is the mostest funnest bike I've ever ridden. I used to describe the original RIII as a 'decathlete' capable of doing the widest spectrum of riding..but this GT smokes the old guy.. it's nimble and light (ok relatively light:)..seems to carve curves all on its lonesome, what I'd call a point and click type bike. The only drawback I've seen ( except grrr for the panniers which I'll get to in a moment) is the virtually naked rear fender results in dirt and road mud being flung up my back and all over the bike.. and I mean ALL OVER the bike.. there was even a pool of mud in the seat. I figger the mud hit the back of my rain jacket and then the tears from the clouds washed it down into the seat where it gathered (and warmed by my buns..maybe it weren't so bad afterall heh heh).
OK on to the panniers. They are positively AWFUL.. don't waste your money on them.. they are small and not waterproof so basically what the hell good are they? I took the precaution of putting some items inside plastic bags and then into the panniers. Good thing I did because when I got home and open the panniers a stream of water came out of them, they were soaked inside (and yes I had their outside covers locked in place). Unfortunately the covers leave the inside of the panniers 'uncovered' ( I'm talking about the outside portion of the panniers nearest the tires).Makes you wonder how Triumph could spend such time and effort building this marvelous machine and then offer up fourth rate accesories like these panniers.

So I wanted to share this with you guys to save you the aggravation and waste of money..wait until someone develops aftermarket WATERPROOF panniers..did I say WATERPROOF, oh yes I did sorry.

I am not a fan of the panniers either, they are too small and as you noted not waterproof. I have not ridden in the rain yet (over 7000 miles and no rain, must be the desert, lol) so I was not aware that even with the supplied condoms they would still take on water. That absolutely sucks. But overall, like you said, this is the finest scooter I have ever been on.

I saw some wet roads for the first time a few days ago with some light intermittent rain. I did not get any water or debris up my back. I haven’t ridden in the heavy water yet. I’m not getting bags for my TFC. If I need baggage carrying I’ll choose and Indian for the day. I do use my wife’s bags for my stuff. :laugh:

i'm sure with the concern raised by just about everyone regarding the spray, that with our collective minds working we will hit upon a brilliant solution to fix this...
The single sidearm and rear suspension is why the bike has that exposed arse like that obviously so lets get to thinking...

Back