Going darkside in the next couple of weeks

BillB

Turbocharged
Ride
2013 R3T, 1960 Franken-Pan
After waffling around for a month, I have decided to go to the Darkside. At least going to have to try it once to see if it works for me. Simple economics was the deciding factor for me, I just can't foot a $1000 to $1250 a year tire bill and I ain't going cut down on my riding either.

So, from what I have been able to gather: 2013 R3T I should be getting a 205/60r16 Riken Raptor. I weigh in at 300lbs or about 21.5 stone for you RDU guys so start off at 35psi?

I can get the Riken wholesale being in the car business so It won't hurt my feelings too bad to take it off in a thousand miles and throw it in the scrap heap if it Sux.

205/60 is a good fit for the R3T but I was not aware that the Riken Raptor is available in that size. I run the Raptor on my Standard at 225/55 so this is good news for R3T owners. My first one lasted 29,000 miles.

205/60 is a good fit for the R3T but I was not aware that the Riken Raptor is available in that size. I run the Raptor on my Standard at 225/55 so this is good news for R3T owners. My first one lasted 29,000 miles.

Thanks tor the reply. That size is available. You think that 35psi is a good place to start?

Bill

Go to tire rack and look up any tire that is in that size range...That is what I did to find the tire I wanted for my Rocket

In the tire rack section there is a section that says survey .....Look for the best wet traction and dry traction you can find with the speed rating you are planning to run

I use this to help me find the softest tire due to running it on a M/C. I wound up using a Goodyear F1 Eagle G3 225x 50x 16....I love that tire and it has over 12,000 miles and still looks new

If you would like to ride my Rocket with the Car tire....let me know and I will swap out the wheel and tire so you can try it.....But it will cost you about the same as this past Sunday....Told you I was cheap....LOL

Just let me know

Bill

Go to tire rack and look up any tire that is in that size range...That is what I did to find the tire I wanted for my Rocket

In the tire rack section there is a section that says survey .....Look for the best wet traction and dry traction you can find with the speed rating you are planning to run

I use this to help me find the softest tire due to running it on a M/C. I wound up using a Goodyear F1 Eagle G3 225x 50x 16....I love that tire and it has over 12,000 miles and still looks new

If you would like to ride my Rocket with the Car tire....let me know and I will swap out the wheel and tire so you can try it.....But it will cost you about the same as this past Sunday....Told you I was cheap....LOL

Just let me know

I appreciate it Joey, but I can get the tire from our supplier for less than 60bux. Won't cry too bad if I decide to toss it in the heap and go back with something besides a ^(%(^) Metzler.

Get the pictures off the phone and I bet we could blackmail the RDU crowd into buying us both coffee and cookies to NOT post them :eek::roll::roll:

Thanks tor the reply. That size is available. You think that 35psi is a good place to start?

I really can't say for an R3T. I run 29-31 psi depending on load. You can start at 35 psi and work your way down 1 lb at a time until it feels right. Higher might be the answer, too.

Biggest thing to remember is that the first 100-200 miles are going to be "what the hell did I do?" The next few hundred will be better. Give it at least a 1,000 miles before you decide whether to keep it or not.

Bill are you getting the Z 94 W Raptor???......I think you would be happy with that tire

It looks a lot like my Goodyear

Actually after reading up some more I don't think that the raptor is going to work Joey. The only ones available in my size have a asymmetrical tread pattern. Most of the opinions that I have read say that is a no go for darkside use. I am leaning towards the Bridgestone Potenza G 019 grid

On advice from the forum i just switched over the rear tire to Bridgestone XDRA-Max 240/55ZR16 and chose the Dunlop Elite3 150/80HR 17 for the front. I couldn't be happier:thumbsdown: Just my 2 cents why limit yourself.:ninja:

Bill

I don't think that is the best tire for your bike...I know my bike is not a touring model, so there may be some differences.
Asymmetrical tread is what is on my Rocket and I love it....But I have never ran another car tire on my bike so I really don't know the difference

But......PLEASE....go to Tire Rack and evaluate each tire you are thinking of getting.....Looking at the Survey section under each tire it will give you greater info on that tires performance...

The major things I looked for was .

# 1....Hydroplaning Resistance..........A M/C will hydroplane quicker with a car tire than a M/C tire.....surface area verses weight
I have never had an issue with Hydroplaning with the Goodyear F1 Eagle G3 and I rode in some very hard rain storms

# 2....Wet Grip......... The softness of the rubber compound and the ability to stick to a wet surface
Awesome grip in the wet...I have pushed it hard in the wet while riding the Dragon.
#3....Dry Grip.......... LOL....Acceleration/ traction

and last is ride comfort........ At 34 psi mine will take your breath away if you hit a quick jump up on some bridges

The major draw backs are the harder counter steer......The wider the tire the harder it will be to counter steer......Oh.....Do not slowly ride up on a ledge at a 45* angle......Trust me on this.....Lmao

I have said my peace....on this

Back