Littleleelong

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph rocket 3 touring
Hi everyone..... would really appreciate any advice .... Have a R3t 2010 .... was out the other day and she jumped out of 2nd gear .... since this has happened I’m now finding sometimes it will go into second and other times it will not go into gear at all .......... kind regards to everyone

When say 'won't go in to gear at all' do you mean won't go into second or won't go into any gear?

How many miles on your bike? That sounds like one of the symptoms rectified by the "upgrade kits" that Triumph provided for the '06-'09 class of bikes. They supposedly made changes to subsequent production bikes afterward...your bike should have had the "fix". The upgraded parts incorporated back angle grinds on the gear teeth to ensure engagement during peak loads, such as under acceleration.

When the detent spring breaks, the bike will jump out of gear the instant you roll off the throttle, regardless of what gear you are in. Keeping your foot on the shifter after the shift is made, maintaining upward pressure after an up-shift or downward pressure after a down-shift, will keep it in gear.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone......... took the plunge today and stripped her down ...... took off the clutch cover to find the detent spring sitting at the bottom of the casing ..... now waiting for the clutch removal tool so can get to replacing spring ..... such a massive job for such a small thing ..... bike had done 17000 miles ....... thanks so much for getting back to me ......

Thanks so much for the replies everyone......... took the plunge today and stripped her down ...... took off the clutch cover to find the detent spring sitting at the bottom of the casing ..... now waiting for the clutch removal tool so can get to replacing spring ..... such a massive job for such a small thing ..... bike had done 17000 miles ....... thanks so much for getting back to me ......

I'm curious...Did it behave like I described?

Hi wolf ........ yeah .... yesterday was coming out of 3rd gear and 4th ...... when eventually got it in gear it rode great .... but you are right when changing up in gear I had to keep the pressure there to make sure it stayed in gear

That's what I figured...mine broke during the 2011 Maggie Valley get together while zipping along the Tail of the Dragon. Made for interesting riding until I discovered the "pressure on the shifter" tactic. I have an extra set of everything neatly stored in my garage, just in case it happens again. It broke at 43,000 miles...I have 86,000 on it now. Is it due to break again? I hope not, but I'm prepared if it does.

Back