wont stay in 1st gear

happyhenry

.060 Over
Ride
early 05 standard,delivered july 04
got an 05 r3 that had the tranny ''rebuilt'' and now it won't stay in 1st. any thoughts on what could have been missed.the bike had a munched 4th when it went in to the shop, but had no issues with 1st,ever. I drove the bike home 6 mi when 4th blew, using 1 2 3rd the whole time no problem.

thanks warp,your help is much appreciated. with the weather around here I have not been able to play with it, other than linkage adjustments. but I think you got it. can that be corrected without pulling the motor a big thanks to warp9.9 I don't think I could do this without your help.

If it’s not the detent spring then consider this. Rockets need to “clunk” into first gear. When you start the bike ALWAYS let the clutch out with the bike in neutral before engaging first. It should clunk. If you start in gear, pop it into neutral, let the clutch out and then go back into first. If when you engage first and don’t get that clunk there’s a good chance it will pop out of first gear, especially under load. Generally if you engage first while the bike’s still rolling, say to a stop, then it should engage properly without needing to let the clutch out in neutral. Don’t question it, just do it, every time.

Another thing to consider, is your clutch adjust EXACTLY as per specs? It doesn't take much for it to be out of spec.

btw, Detent Spring instructions are in my signature.

If it’s not the detent spring then consider this. Rockets need to “clunk” into first gear. When you start the bike ALWAYS let the clutch out with the bike in neutral before engaging first. It should clunk. If you start in gear, pop it into neutral, let the clutch out and then go back into first. If when you engage first and don’t get that clunk there’s a good chance it will pop out of first gear, especially under load. Generally if you engage first while the bike’s still rolling, say to a stop, then it should engage properly without needing to let the clutch out in neutral. Don’t question it, just do it, every time.
Hi Richard,
Are you missing us? Have not seen you arroubd so regularly for a while - it’s great to have you around:D

Good to see you posting Richard !

Hello Richard I was just about to take a walk over to Australia and make sure you were okay:D

Back