Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
Good Morning all,
I am not looking to spring up a bunch of threads on mileage and octane preference, but more to understand the ECU in terms of the range to empty if anyone knows. 2009 R3T, Ramair, D&D without baffles, good tune for the bike. I ride this very hard. Last year when I went across the state of Iowa, when I filled up, (and the fuel gauge caught up with itself a couple miles down the road), the range said it was in the 160 mile range or so. I have never tested that theory and have not really checked mileage. Others that I ride with need fuel before I do, so I just top off when they do.

1. Getting to my question - For some reason, this year when I am running the same setup and same fuel grade as before, the bike tells me that I am only sitting at a range of like 120 to empty on a full tank. How does this get calculated and is it possible that when i am on the road trip next week which will be around 7 hours @ 80mph, the range will come up? Am I just riding that much harder than I was last year?

2. Also, side note, when the range gets down there, what happens? I have never let it get that low. does it blink or just show low fuel on a dummy light? how much is left at that point?

3. I feel that this bike should have an extra gear. At 80MPH for 7 hours (obviously not constant due to stopping for fuel) the RPM is up there. Is there any issue with running this at a constant 80-90MPH for a long period of time?

Sorry if I take a brow beating for that last question. Just that when I am running at those speeds, it really feels like there should be another gear to shift up to and since there is no Tach, I want to make sure the RPM is safe. Hell, maybe the machine WANTS to be run there.

Low fuel light comes on when you age down to somewhere between 1.5 and 2 gallons left( approx 55 miles range). At 80 mph you should only be at 3100 rpm. I going after 75 mph the beast starts to guzzle.

Makes me wonder if I am just not putting enough fuel in her now maybe. what is considered full on these bikes, and what is too much?

Not sure if it's different on a T, but my /17 Roadster, the light comes on at 50 miles to go (indicated). I have noticed that the mileage counter on mine adapts. I go on a ride around the lower portion of the Chesapeake Bay once a year w/ my dad and a group of Harley guys. That's hands down, the BEST mileage I get all year!! After a top off or two, because I stop when they stop, my mileage to empty is in the 220's. After that ride, it usually takes a few tanks for it to realize it's back to normal riding mode and then it drops to between 180-190 or so. Speed is a HUGE factor. W/ those guys it's absolutely no more than 10 over the speed limit and that means rarely do we go over 65-70.

My 2014 R3T is varied wildly over the years. I have squeezed 205 miles out of a full tank once but usually have to refuel around home at 130 miles or so. I think it is computer guess works based on multiple sensors that are jealous and hate each other.

My 2014 R3T is varied wildly over the years. I have squeezed 205 miles out of a full tank once but usually have to refuel around home at 130 miles or so. I think it is computer guess works based on multiple sensors that are jealous and hate each other.
That makes sense. I was worried something heappend.

@Jeremy You ask excellent questions and they are well-crafted.

On the emotion of wanting a 6th gear, you are in good company, and there are on-going discussions right now to fabricate the parts kit to convert our Rockets to 6-gear transmissions. Send a note to @R-III-R Turbo if you are interested.

You can search on the topic and his handle, and find a beautifully illustrated and detailed account of his development of the parts.

I'm on the list to get one when they come out.

Earlier this week my low fuel warning light came on my dash board. I didn't notice where the miles counter was at the time but road about 20 more miles before filling up and when I did it took 4.6 gallons US. That means I had almost another one and a half gallons of gas in the tank even after riding 20 miles with the warning light on. To me it seems like the warning light comes on too early to be taken seriously.

@Jeremy You ask excellent questions and they are well-crafted.

On the emotion of wanting a 6th gear, you are in good company, and there are on-going discussions right now to fabricate the parts kit to convert our Rockets to 6-gear transmissions. Send a note to @R-III-R Turbo if you are interested.

You can search on the topic and his handle, and find a beautifully illustrated and detailed account of his development of the parts.

I'm on the list to get one when they come out.

Just under 2200rpm at 80mph :)

On road trips, I’ve seen as high as 230 ish miles to empty. Running interstate, 75-80mph. Best to check actual miles to fuel used at fuel stops. But I reliably get +40mpg, and that’s on a 240 Carpenter motor!

My low fuel light comes on with a little over a gallon remaining in the tank.

Last edited:
Back