Freeze Plug Leak

Dealers are like a box of chocolates-you never know what you are going to get.

I was extremely bored at work the other day so I decided to call the dealer to check and see if the 2007 plug with the copper washer would work in my 2005 block. I think Flipper is right, the plug probably just has an under cut to accommodate the washer, but like I said I was bored. The first dealership could not find the part on his schematic at all and how no idea what the hell I was talking about. (I'll swear I think it was that pimply faced kid from the Simpson's who is always working in a fast food restaurant.) I finally called the small dealership where I purchased the Fat Bottom Girl they had no idea but said they would call Triumph and get an answer. They did call me back late on Friday afternoon, and guess what, Triumph had closed early for the weekend. They will check next week and give me call. I sure hope Triumph doesn't take off to go fishing.

WELL "EXCUSE ME". FREEZE PLUG-DRAIN PLUG. First you have to spell everything correctly on this site, now you need to know parts terminology. Anyway, the Marine Tech did the trick. Sealed up tight as Flip and Jack's wallet.
And don't forget about a meticulously cleaned bike, preferably by Hooters girls, before you take any pictures of your freeze plug....er....drain plug!

Dealer came through

Thanks Pedro, but the Dealer did call back. New plug and washer are on order for a grand total of about five bucks. Dealer did say the plug has not changed, just the addition of the washer, but I ordered a new one to be sure. BTW, I checked out the Bike Bandit site for the first time, looks great. Good people to buy from??????

The only problem with bikebandit is that they have to order from Triumph.:)

Great to deal with otherwise. And I really like the information they make available.

The only problem with bikebandit is that they have to order from Triumph.:)

Great to deal with otherwise. And I really like the information they make available.

SOOO....does my dealership...they had to order the replaceable soft washers for the oil drain plugs that we discussed on this site some months ago...:rolleyes:...this particular dealership seems to be a new bike dealer only...:mad:..wouldn't you think that if they serviced Triumph Motorcycles they would have such a simple item?

I have ordered from BikeBandit and had good luck in getting my parts on a decent time line...SB:D

Won't Work-final Chapter

Just FYI for anyone else with a weeping rear motor plug on a 2005 R3. The updated 2006/7 plug with a copper washer will not work. The newer plug has a back cut flange head for the washer and course threaded. The 2005 is fine threaded. Both take a 14mm hex drive and you can not tell the difference until the plug is pulled. It was a bear to get to because of clearance with the frame. I shortened a bit and it took a breaker bar, heat, and several choice words to get it out. It took forever to get the parts from the Dealer, because Triumph had mislabeled the copper washer in the parts bin. They kept sending a small oil seal instead. I ordered from Bike Bandit and got the same thing. The Dealer finally contacted Triumph and got the problem rectified and I got the 85 cent washer in about five weeks. I have installed the old plug with some Teflon tape and Marine Tec on the threads. I am letting it cure for about 48 hours on a dry system and hoping for the best. A shot of all the little culprits is attached.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Back