The Dave Platt installation for the home wrencher ( like wot I am)

Bondysbike

Turbocharged
Ride
Rocket Roadster
Seriously , must say a big thanks again for all the help I got this last few weeks in trying to sort my Rocket after fitting outlaws recently.(2018 600 miles) I thought Id post this in case anyone else out there is an enthusiastic but useless diy mechanic like me .It's very clear from all the posts that these pipes are causing a few issues like mine so I thought I'd share this to help others as I've been helped.

I posted that after fitting the DP's I was very disappointed. Overall the bike had lost performance (it lost its 'spark') and there was a slight hesitation when pulling from low speed. The decal POPPING (actually BANG) with throttles closed , although anticipated was just unacceptable. It sounded like an 'old banger on its last legs' (no backfiring just decal popping and general lumpiness at low speed and a distinct loss of acceleration through all gears).
I went to my Triumph tech (great Guy) and he did everything he could to get this configuration running well for me but still it was only half the ride it was all stock. After seeing the Triumph folks it was better but still hugely disappointing. I considered ripping the pipes off and getting this brand new rocket back to stock. However , I decided I'm over $1000 into this and I'm going to get it right. I couldn't obtain a tune anywhere. So I went this route :

Bought the H&N air box delete kit and installed yesterday (it fitted nicely under bear claw with by following the advice from here to simply buy longer bolts , add 4 washers and hey, bear claw fits over filters fine and looks just like stock.(no excessive gap between tank and bear claw , looks stock) Easy install I just followed the excellent You Tube video of the installation of a RAM air system. I had two questions - both answered within minutes buy you Guys.One was that I had no IAT extension cable as comes with the RAM Air kit (didn't know what an IAT was actually). You Guys told me this H&N kit doesn't have one & to simply put the IAT into the smaller of the two filters that came with the kit and locate it right next to the intake pods. Well, the stock lead reached all the way to the filters and I was able to secure the IAT in this filter housing right next to the pods. Job done.

Second I bought a PCV (without auto tune). Here I went against most advice. I did so because if all else fails I would go and have a Dyno. (issue with Dyno for me was finding anyone who has worked on a Triumph). Still couldn't obtain a map that anyone else had used for this set up. (although one is now on its way!) So I emailed Power commander and described my set up. They got back to me within an hour and told me to use Map #M21-003-006 as a starting point. I installed the PCV. It really was a piece of cake as the instructions were easy to follow. Even the bits supposedly a bit awkward were not eg CO2 sensor. It says you have to remove this and that as the plug is behind the ECM. Well it isn't , it was right there easy to get at & I was able to plug the PCV CO2 optimizer in easily.( this CO2 sensor as stock was I gather a major cause of the problems I was having.) I located the PCV in the void left by the removal of the stock filter and I ran the leads through the opening left following the removal of all the stock air box plumbing. So that was easy and very neat too. ( there is another 'bit' that was secured to the stock air box and so without the air box its left loose - I simply bought a P.clip and attached to the fuel rail as shown on the RAM Air installation video.)

So now I had the Outlaws / H&N air / PCV. Still I had little confidence because everyone more or less said PCV not the way to go , especially without auto tune. However too late , Id bought so I used it.

I loaded the map into the PCV , again dead easy just follow the instructions and up came the "success" message on the lap top. So all set except its now 2.30 am ...

This morning I was nervous as a kitten that all this work (very advanced for me!) was going to throw up an issue and I'd have no idea where to start trouble shooting.

I started the engine and immediately it fired into life. It already sounded different - a lot! (I couldn't really hear a change from the air intakes at this stage.) The exhaust sounded quite different! I would describe it as less 'hollow' somehow , more forceful and racy. Yes , it sounded as though the bike WAS breathing easier and more feely. It sounded good, very good. I let it idle & within 30 seconds the engine had settled into a glorious purposeful consistently smooth idle. No warning lights , all seemed good so far.
Went for a test ride - IT WAS AWESOME...I MEAN OUTSTANDING. NO POPS, INSTANT THROTTLE RESONSE , AND THE MOST LIVELY (FAST) ROCKET I HAVE HAD (this is my 3rd).The acceleration was a revelation I cannot describe just how much pull was there now compared to before. It was a complete transformation. I pulled away from low speed to hammering it and zero hesitation and buckets of torque. It was a beast again! I shut the throttles down in every gear to prompt the pops etc. and almost none. Those that were present were so much quieter than before and no different than you get with stock.(The slight pops that were present seemed to be happening somewhere else in the system , not right under my arse and not loud bangs as before, this sounded mean , angry...as it should)
Anyway, I'm just sharing for anyone who might have had the struggles I had after fitting the DP shorty's. The 12 minute tune 'and everything will be OK' sales pitch is absolute nonsense. My bike today has gone from completely underwhelming to exhilarating and this was the fix (so far) for me. I know from learning here that this tune / map can be greatly improved on as I learn how , but for now its as good a performance as I have ever had.Thanks everyone for all your help. If a wrencher with my lack of talent can do this , with help from our friends here anyone can!
Ride safely my friends...

Congrats on your success. I would think you should have an easier time finding someone to do a dyno now that you have the PCV on it also.

Happy trails.

Just a thought...should I do the 12 min thing? ( reset)

Others that have a PCV installed may be wiser than I, but the 12 minute tune lets the ECU adjust the air flow through the intake so it would seem to be a good idea.

Remember the 12 minutes does not start till the fan kicks on. I usually wait 15 minutes just to be sure and DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE.

Others that have a PCV installed may be wiser than I, but the 12 minute tune lets the ECU adjust the air flow through the intake so it would seem to be a good idea.

Remember the 12 minutes does not start till the fan kicks on. I usually wait 15 minutes just to be sure and DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE.

Yes thanks..

my guess would be that with out the O2 sensor hooked up its not going to any adjustment.
i also believe that unless u put it on a trailer and climb 3000 feet that a 12 minute is a waste of time.

Back