Replacing Spark Plug Wires (leads)

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
At how many miles do you guys declare it's time to spend the $200+ bucks for new wires?

I have a date with a tuner in a few weeks and want to make sure that everything is in perfect working order. My '11 Roadster has 50,000 miles and new cams and pistons (more about that later). Anyway, I just changed the fuel filter and primary TPS last night and that made a significant difference. Front wheel up, easy....

The coil leads are crimped and I've check for vacuum leaks.

Now I'm focusing on the plug wires. There's very little discussion I can find about them here. At 50K I think I'm going to just bite the bullet and order a set tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone out there knew more about this and wanted to chime in.

I pulled out my multi-tester and set it at 20K and here’s what I got…

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 7.33.08 PM.png

#1 and #2 seem significantly higher in resistance than the others, and 3 - 5 are virtually the same, six seems pretty close.

At how many miles do you guys declare it's time to spend the $200+ bucks for new wires?

Also, if someone could confirm that, based on these readings, it's definitely time to order, no matter what the mileage- that would make the financial pain a little easier to bear.

Finally, I haven't come across an aftermarket alternative. If there's a better quality option out there that is also less expensive, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.......

MUCH cleaner.

@Claviger suspected at one point that the COP was causing a problem at a high RPM/throttle condition, and I could well be wrong, but I seem to recall he finally attributed the condition to something other than the COP.

When I read that, I was convinced to go ahead with mine, and, if you ask nicely, and pay a little money, @DEcosse will make a plug and play harness for you. The original COP thread used the OEM Yamaha harness, and I found the ones new to be prohibitively expensive, while both of the used ones I had showed cracking in the connectors. DEcosse knew the connectors, and discussed a bit the best way to do it, and was even able to troubleshoot remotely an error I made in installation, and all running well now.

And MUCH cleaner and top of the engine accessible (not to mention showing off more of the beautiful chrome cover).

For some reason, new plug wires were included in the famous "update" kits. ??? And strange thing about the coils, notice how one side has a deeper hole than the other. I've replaced the plug wires on both of my 05's, from my 2 "update" kits I bought years ago. just sayin.;)

MUCH cleaner.

@Claviger suspected at one point that the COP was causing a problem at a high RPM/throttle condition, and I could well be wrong, but I seem to recall he finally attributed the condition to something other than the COP.

When I read that, I was convinced to go ahead with mine, and, if you ask nicely, and pay a little money, @DEcosse will make a plug and play harness for you. The original COP thread used the OEM Yamaha harness, and I found the ones new to be prohibitively expensive, while both of the used ones I had showed cracking in the connectors. DEcosse knew the connectors, and discussed a bit the best way to do it, and was even able to troubleshoot remotely an error I made in installation, and all running well now.

And MUCH cleaner and top of the engine accessible (not to mention showing off more of the beautiful chrome cover).

joe, could you post a picture of the completed installation?

Back