Free unrestricted maps for Rocket R GT and TFC now online

Hello @Penner!!! We gonna get a new map with the unrestricted top speed? And where do we send you beer money???!!!
Sorry, it won´t happen that fast. Just open the map with the actual software and set speed limiter to whatever number you like.

So I can just set it to 300mph 😎
There is no speed limiter adjustment for the Rocket in TuneECU although Alain posted that he has succeeded in changing it. Look for new maps. Also, adjusting the rev limiter in TuneECU doesn’t seem to work, although there is no more power above 7000.

If you’re from Australia one must install backwards and reversed. I am just kidding. TuneECU was a bit of a headache when they took it off Google Play store. I hear it’s easier now (no more registration hurdles). 1) get a compatible android device. I used a cheap tablet my daughter got for Covid school. 2) download Tune ECU from the Google Play store to the Android device. 3) Go to TuneECU Facebook page or TuneECU.net to get the 10,000’ view of what you’re about to do—this will help to read about all the steps and hardware you need BEFORE you start 4) follow their instructions for downloading the region specific map for your bike (use the free Penner tune but make sure you get the region that corresponds to your bike or use the DNK tune by purchasing from them but make sure you specify not only on order but also via email correspondence with them the REGION of your map). Use TuneECU.net for getting the correct OBD Link tool I used the LX from Amazon for $50 US it worked perfectly first time with the Samsung Galaxy tablet mentioned above via Bluetooth connection 5) load the downloaded map from step 4 into TuneECU and connect OBD Link to bike. Now precisely follow steps as given on TuneECU.net under the “connect” heading. Your tablet will load the tune you downloaded earlier onto the bike. It takes about 12-15m. If you read up about all the steps and write them down so they make sense to you I don’t feel the process is complicated. If you get an error during transfer do not panic. TuneECU will allow you to restore if the transfer is not successful. Make sure that you have followed all the steps. Pull the fuse for your headlights to greatly reduce battery drain. The transfer can fail if voltage to ECU on the bike drops a lot. You should connect a battery CHARGER to your bike battery and make sure it’s all juiced up prior to starting any transfer. I used the Battery Tender and didn’t start until the green light was steady indicating battery was at full float voltage and kept it connected the whole time. Make sure your tablet is fully charged as if it dies in the middle that will cause issues and make you stressed out. Once I had all the steps written out, and was sure I had the correct tools (Android tablet, registered and working TuneECU app, OBDLX, battery CHARGER for bike battery) I was pretty confident in getting the map loaded. After the first time doing it you will see that although intimidating at the outset it’s well worth your time. I went from 140ish to 171 rwhp with the DNK tune and the slip on pipe. I spent about $1,500 and three hours of my time. That’s a real good ROI in the motorcycle world if you ask me. Let me know if you have any more questions happy to help.

How does a remapped Rocket compare to your friends S1000R? Just out of curiousity?
Well he sold the blooming thing and bought a R1200RS! So sadly I don't know, but since i had no problems staying on his number plate before i can only assume it would be faster above 5000rpm to redline..

I went from 140ish to 171 rwhp
The HP that Triumph says : 167 Hp - what horsepowe is that? When you have a standar Rocket 2020 with 167hp. how many HP do you have if compared to Penner or if compared to DNK.
With Penner ypu get 184 HP instead of the 167 HP that you have now - is it?

Well here is my confusion on those numbers; if you look a the dyno report picture that Penner put up, with the standard map the rwhp is about 145, and with Penner's map the rwhp is 170. The usual HP number quoted by Triumph is 165 BHP (presumably at the crank) so it loses 20 HP from there to the rear wheel. That should mean that with the revised mapping there is 190 HP at least at the crank, however Penner indicated it is only 185.

Attachments

• R3R 177 rwhp v2.jpg
    R3R 177 rwhp v2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 27
Well here is my confusion on those numbers; if you look a the dyno report picture that Penner put up, with the standard map the rwhp is about 145, and with Penner's map the rwhp is 170. The usual HP number quoted by Triumph is 165 BHP (presumably at the crank) so it loses 20 HP from there to the rear wheel. That should mean that with the revised mapping there is 190 HP at least at the crank, however Penner indicated it is only 185.
I believe Triumph quote 165 in their materials. Penner is showing 170 at the wheel and he also has a driveline loss calculator with the actual dyno he’s using so he doesn’t use the Triumph loss number he uses the actual number his dyno calculated. He clarified this to me. When the drum in the dyno is rolling down after a run it calculates the loss actually present in that bike at that time in that place, so there are variables to explain the drive loss discrepancy in his final calculation and Triumph’s. I had a very accurate and calibrated Dyno done in my bike and I too got 171 to the rear wheel. I have DNK tune and Comp Werks pipe. Every bike and dyno is going to be different. If you want to know what your bike really makes you gotta go to a good dyno (find a dyno that uses the Eddy Current method) and they will know exactly what the bike makes at the wheel which is really the only number that matters.

Thanks for that explanation, so do I take it that Triumph's figure of 165 is overstated, and that in standard form with 145 at the rear wheel there is only something like 157 at the crank?

Thanks for that explanation, so do I take it that Triumph's figure of 165 is overstated, and that in standard form with 145 at the rear wheel there is only something like 157 at the crank?
No I don't think so. I think somewhere under some conditions they have a documented and verified number with the engine on a chassis dyno connected directly to the shaft and that their loss calculation can be supported and justified such that their marketing materials showcasing a 165hp number can be supported by clear indisputable evidence...otherwise they would certainly risk litigation. Usually, the discrepancy between advertised numbers and the numbers we see on the internet can be explained by variables that are just not clear (ambient air temp, dyno variances, lubrication, and even tires). I know that even from one dyno to the next under the same conditions you can see 10% variance on the same bike. I am sure that Triumph is not overstating their power number but rather these differences are explained by perfectly acceptable and expected measurement variances. The bike is wicked powerful and probably they are being conservative by a few HP just to be safe. As for telling people how much power it has, you can say whatever number you like it's never going to be 100% accurate (the bike makes less power at 5000ft than sea level, for instance), but I try to be accurate when I talk about such things at the bar so I error on the side of being a little conservative with the bragging. I had mine dyno'd b/c I wanted to know as close a possible what it made to the wheel. With the 171 number, I am comfortable saying it has about 180hp when folks ask. I wouldn't want to say it has 200hp as I don't know that it has "at least" that. For the same reason, you can say 165 in stock form at sea level. It def. has that.

Last edited:
Back