Fails to start

if it is a Gel Cell battery they can die without any warning, i have had one do that, showed 12 volts, but as soon as you tried to start the bike it dropped right down and didn't have enough power to do anything. Also AGM batteries are generally pretty good, but from what i have seen with the one i had, they don't do so well in the cold

My 2005 R3 had the original battery up until last year. The batteries in both my hemi cars also lasted 11 years. Charmed life I reckon :)

P.S. original battery was a Yausa. I put in another Yausa.

I said it once and I'll say it again...You're an enigma when it comes to batteries and how long they last. Especially here in Michigan. 2-3 years in my motorcycle and I send them to where ever batteries go. After that my bike gets a new battery.

if it is a Gel Cell battery they can die without any warning, i have had one do that, showed 12 volts, but as soon as you tried to start the bike it dropped right down and didn't have enough power to do anything. Also AGM batteries are generally pretty good, but from what i have seen with the one i had, they don't do so well in the cold
IME All batteries can just die. What seems to keeps them fresh is constant (almost daily) use. But even then they can just die - often as not DURING a ride/run but you only notice after the engine stops.

And if you go down the Lithium battery road make sure you have a Lithium rated charger!.

I said it once and I'll say it again...You're an enigma when it comes to batteries and how long they last. Especially here in Michigan. 2-3 years in my motorcycle and I send them to where ever batteries go. After that my bike gets a new battery.

My original Yausa must have been made on a Wednesday :). When I replaced one of my 11 year old car batteries, the guy at Advance Auto said he's seen maintenance free car batteries last 15 years.

Cold weather makes the Rocket sad. Your battery might be good but around freezing its a one shot attempt. I put two batteries in mine after converting to Ramair I have room for two. Also doubled the cables.
My whifes -99 Sportster is on its second battery, now about ten years old and in perfect condition. Use a good charger! I rotate the same on all bikes regularly.

First time poster but long time lurker here. I appreciate all the knowledge and the help that comes from this website. I've been browsing to see if I could find what has happened to my bike and am quite confused as to what it could be. Little bit of background info. Weather has been around 40 degrees F during the morning and jumping up to 60-70 midday. Took my bike for a ride yesterday, no problems, went to start it this morning and here is where I'm stuck. Turned the ignition on, gauges sweep, pumps work, headlights come on, horn works, turn signals work but the bike wont turn over. I checked the fuses and none are blown. Now when I turn the ignition on and turn it over, it clicks once and that's it. When the key is in the ignition and in the on position, the digital clock blinks off and on while the gas gauge never goes past 0. Thanks for taking the time to read and much appreciate any help.
I had the EXACT same issue this weekend with my 2008 R3T. I checked everything, relays, switches, battery, cables, fuses I mean everything. Will not bore you with the details but try this. Connect a jumper lead cable from the battery negative terminal to one of the bolts connecting the starter motor to the engine. Then push the start button, I'm sure it will fire up. I think the issue is, the starter motor flange is alloy and the bolts are steel and some kind of chemical thing is happening causing a bad earth between the bolts and the starter motor. I ran a cable from the bolt to the negative terminal of the battery, so it now has its own earth cable, now it fires up better than it ever did.. Hope this helps.

Cold weather makes the Rocket sad. Your battery might be good but around freezing its a one shot attempt. I put two batteries in mine after converting to Ramair I have room for two. Also doubled the cables.
My whifes -99 Sportster is on its second battery, now about ten years old and in perfect condition. Use a good charger! I rotate the same on all bikes regularly.

That's un-heard of battery life for a Harley ! Three years was the best I ever got out of a battery on my old Electraglide, and it used what looked like a lawn tractor battery. I always brought that battery indoors for the winter and charged it once a month.

That's un-heard of battery life for a Harley ! Three years was the best I ever got out of a battery on my old Electraglide, and it used what looked like a lawn tractor battery. I always brought that battery indoors for the winter and charged it once a month.

I guess you are a little bit "different" :confused:;):)

Back