Odd Bike Cutting Out Issue

sleeves

Nitrous
Ride
05 R3 Std
Hi All

Had a friend over in the weekend with a strange fault on his 08 R3. He took it to the local Triumph Stealership and they told him over 2 months before they could put it on their tester!

There are a number of weird things going on.

1. The rev counter was playing up. I have fixed this there was some dodgy wiring (done by the dealer I suspect. Works fine now.

2. When I connect the bike to my computer it connects (with some difficulty) but drops out and will only stay connected for around 20 seconds with the bike running making it hard to check values on Tune ECU. Its the only bike I've had this issue with. I can download and upload the maps though with the bike off no issue, its once the bike is running it stops the coms. Stop and Tune ECU connects and talks. Weird. Its the only time Ive had this happen and many NZ people here will know Ive worked on a few R3's.

3. And this is the painful issue once the bike is warmed up it randomly cuts out, doesn't matter the speed or revs, round town or open road motor cuts out. No oil or temp fault, not fault on Tune ECU. Stop bike and restart it runs/idles/revs fine again till next time. Kev also reckons the cooling fan is not cutting out but he's half deaf and it was in the garage and tested fine so I'm not convinced.

Its had new water pump, hoses,thermostat radiator flush, fuel filter.

It was binned some time back and was repaired under insurance.

Suggestions where to look next please

Sounds like mine, ignition switch, wiggle key and it stops it or causes it, how I diagnosed mine.

Thanks its a friends bike but he gets confused when i talk to him on the phone and focusses on irrelevant items. May have to get the bikeback in my garage.

So far two votes for ignition and he doesn't have an EB kit, bikes down 75000miles

I had similar symptoms and found the white ignition wire shorting between the headstock and headlight.

Back