Fails to start

Knightro

Standard Bore
Ride
2012 Rocket III Roadster
First time poster but long time lurker here. I appreciate all the knowledge and the help that comes from this website. I've been browsing to see if I could find what has happened to my bike and am quite confused as to what it could be. Little bit of background info. Weather has been around 40 degrees F during the morning and jumping up to 60-70 midday. Took my bike for a ride yesterday, no problems, went to start it this morning and here is where I'm stuck. Turned the ignition on, gauges sweep, pumps work, headlights come on, horn works, turn signals work but the bike wont turn over. I checked the fuses and none are blown. Now when I turn the ignition on and turn it over, it clicks once and that's it. When the key is in the ignition and in the on position, the digital clock blinks off and on while the gas gauge never goes past 0. Thanks for taking the time to read and much appreciate any help.

Sounds like you're battery. Do you have a battery load tester. If not do you have a Multimeter tester. The battery if it is good should read at least 12 . When you have it running the multimeter should read 13 to 14 hope this helps you.

Do the above, and also check that the battery connections are secure....to the battery and to the starter, and to the main grounding point.

"The bike wont turn over". Does that mean it won't crank at all ?
It wont crank over after the initial try, then I wait about 10 seconds until I try again, same thing happens. I've been racking my brain at what this could be and battery seems to be the first thing in my mind and if it tests out clear, I'm thinking it might be the starter?
Sounds like you're battery. Do you have a battery load tester. If not do you have a Multimeter tester. The battery if it is good should read at least 12 . When you have it running the multimeter should read 13 to 14 hope this helps you.
My battery is about 2 years old, never been dead. I hooked it up to a charger with a Voltmeter tester on it and the battery read 12V when charging. I can't seem to find a proper Multimeter in my house which is unfortunate but on my way home tomorrow I'm going to get the battery tested at a local automotive store. Thanks for the replies!

It wont crank over after the initial try, then I wait about 10 seconds until I try again, same thing happens. I've been racking my brain at what this could be and battery seems to be the first thing in my mind and if it tests out clear, I'm thinking it might be the starter?

My battery is about 2 years old, never been dead. I hooked it up to a charger with a Voltmeter tester on it and the battery read 12V when charging. I can't seem to find a proper Multimeter in my house which is unfortunate but on my way home tomorrow I'm going to get the battery tested at a local automotive store. Thanks for the replies!

I'm sorry, but your bike won't start with the battery at 12 volts and if it tests that way with a charger on it you have issues. A decent battery should read at least 12.6 - 12.8 volts and even that is not a perfect indication that it is capable of delivering enough amps under load to start your bike. 2 years old means nothing when it comes meaning your battery is good. Always work from simple to complex when troubleshooting...replacing the battery with a know good "fully charged battery" is the simplest thing to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.PNG
    IMG_0753.PNG
    210.7 KB · Views: 30
Hello @Knightro and welcome from Virginia. Sorry that your first post is a troubleshooting one. I have a 2014 R3T that I have been chasing electrical matters for the last 44K miles on. My starting problems were due to cold temperatures usually under 22 degrees down to zero. That is fixed with a heater of some sort. The other issue is that the battery cables are not up to snuff. I replaced my negative cable with two new ones due to corrosion. I need to replace the positive cable soon.

Other than that, making sure they are actually tight has been the other starter problem. For some reason, my battery cables work themselves loose every 8-9K miles.

Good luck with you issue and let us know how you fix it. Also, head over to the introduce yourself threads and tell us more about you and your rides. Have a fruitful day!

JM2C... my 2005 won't start below 12Volts. My bike has a phantom/ parasitic draw going on some place?? If i let it sit too long 2 or 3 weeks without a battery tender forget it. I keep it on the tender 24/7... I've got the Deltran Battery Tender Plus..:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I highly recommend battery tenders! My battery budget is scant, even with three bikes in the garage....I just don't need to buy batteries that often! But FWIW a computerized vehicle no matter what it is, will have something sucking a small amount of juice all the time, more then is the reason to use a battery tender. But even with one, batteries will die of old age eventually.

Back