hard to start when range is ~30 miles or less

ThiccTex

.020 Over
Ride
221 R3R
Hi Y'all,

I recently went on a 5 day ride with all bagged Harleys and I was holding them up because of the fuel range on the 221R3. Once the fuel light came on and the engine was shut off, I had to crank the engine over for a few seconds before it would start back up. anybody else have this issue? Its like there is air in the system when you let the tank go down that far. Its actually kind of embarrassing when your new bike wont fire. I have since made the bleed hole larger in the tank filler to get more fuel in the tank for long rides. I also found out this thing corners like a Harley and ground the peg feelers all the way flush with the pegs. I found titanium ones that are advertised for modern classic triumphs and to my dismay, these things are actually pretty soft too. welcome to cruiser life I guess

Hi Y'all,

I recently went on a 5 day ride with all bagged Harleys and I was holding them up because of the fuel range on the 221R3. Once the fuel light came on and the engine was shut off, I had to crank the engine over for a few seconds before it would start back up. anybody else have this issue? Its like there is air in the system when you let the tank go down that far. Its actually kind of embarrassing when your new bike wont fire. I have since made the bleed hole larger in the tank filler to get more fuel in the tank for long rides. I also found out this thing corners like a Harley and ground the peg feelers all the way flush with the pegs. I found titanium ones that are advertised for modern classic triumphs and to my dismay, these things are actually pretty soft too. welcome to cruiser life I guess
I've never had that happen on mine. This bike sure seems to have a lot of quirks.

As far as the peg feelers go- I ground them nearly off my Roadster and would drag often, but with the added clearance height of the 3R I don't drag the pegs nearly as much. That's impressive. I've never ridden a Harley, but based on all the time spent waiting to pass one I can't imagine they're capable of cornering similarly to any of the Rockets. Maybe so, and your Harley riders in north TX just know how to ride.

In my opinion the new Rockets, especially, handle **** well for such a huge machine. For even better handling try switching to the Exedra Max on the rear, which shortens the rake. You must be going through tires quickly too.

Hope to see you at the Rocket event in WV June 12 - 18th.

Hi Y'all,

I have since made the bleed hole larger in the tank filler to get more fuel in the tank for long rides.
Got a picture or thread on this mod? I absolutely hate gassing this thing up. Fuel goes everywhere when almost full so it never gets full.

I’m traveling now so I can’t get you a pic. The pinhole is in the filler neck on the forward side. If you open it up it will let more air out when filling past the filler neck. I only fill all the way when I’m on a ride. I wouldn’t recommend if your just going to park it in the garage. It’s a little sketchy because of the fuel but I’ve done this in the past on dirt bikes to get the fuel to the top. It makes fueling the R3 less messy

T
I've never had that happen on mine. This bike sure seems to have a lot of quirks.

As far as the peg feelers go- I ground them nearly off my Roadster and would drag often, but with the added clearance height of the 3R I don't drag the pegs nearly as much. That's impressive. I've never ridden a Harley, but based on all the time spent waiting to pass one I can't imagine they're capable of cornering similarly to any of the Rockets. Maybe so, and your Harley riders in north TX just know how to ride.

In my opinion the new Rockets, especially, handle **** well for such a huge machine. For even better handling try switching to the Exedra Max on the rear, which shortens the rake. You must be going through tires quickly too.

Hope to see you at the Rocket event in WV June 12 - 18th.
hanks for the tire recommendation. I found a post on this site and I’m interested. I try to keep traction control on because I know I’ll rip through tires and these are pricey tires. As for the Rocket event, I’ll see if I can find a riding buddy to ride there with.

I’m traveling now so I can’t get you a pic. The pinhole is in the filler neck on the forward side. If you open it up it will let more air out when filling past the filler neck. I only fill all the way when I’m on a ride. I wouldn’t recommend if your just going to park it in the garage. It’s a little sketchy because of the fuel but I’ve done this in the past on dirt bikes to get the fuel to the top. It makes fueling the R3 less messy

I see, mine acts like it doesn't have the pin hole or it is just too small for the pumps around here. I literally have to watch for the fuel level in the tank to know when to shut off the nozzle. If allowed to fill until the nozzle clicks off fuel spews out the bung all over the hot engine. Once I filled up on a hot day and 30 minutes later fuel is oozing out of the cap after stopping for lunch. Now I just put a few gallons in and call it good. I figure it would take about 15 fuel stops to ride to WV.

I see, mine acts like it doesn't have the pin hole or it is just too small for the pumps around here. I literally have to watch for the fuel level in the tank to know when to shut off the nozzle. If allowed to fill until the nozzle clicks off fuel spews out the bung all over the hot engine. Once I filled up on a hot day and 30 minutes later fuel is oozing out of the cap after stopping for lunch. Now I just put a few gallons in and call it good. I figure it would take about 15 fuel stops to ride to WV.
That's me too. Hunched over peering down (do not glance away) watching for the gas to appear. Once it's visible it seems you have a split second to cut the pump.

That's me too. Hunched over peering down (do not glance away) watching for the gas to appear. Once it's visible it seems you have a split second to cut the pump.
I made that mistake once (glanced away while fueling) and gasoline was on my face and all over my eyeglasses and the hot engine in an instance. I'm surprised I didn't catch on fire as the engine was sizzling and smoking of evaporating premium. Smelled like gasoline the rest of the day. 🤡 Get used to it.

I made that mistake once (glanced away while fueling) and gasoline was on my face and all over my eyeglasses and the hot engine in an instance. I'm surprised I didn't catch on fire as the engine was sizzling and smoking of evaporating premium. Smelled like gasoline the rest of the day. 🤡 Get used to it.
Solution = McCuff® "No Splash, No Spill, Motorcycle Fill" Everyone Wants One! No Clicking Nozzles! More Miles from Tank! Top-Off Gas Tank EZ, Unique Motorcycle Biker Gift Birthdays, Christmas! Gas up your motorcycle with ease! Avoid Gas Spillage.

Back