No Start - 2021 R3GT

G-Force Junkie

Supercharged
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket III GT Black
Have around 5K on the bike. Starter was not engaging consistently. Sometimes had to press the start switch 20 times before it would engage. Battery in good shape and on minder. Boosting did not help. Once it did engage, it worked for a while. You could hear the relay clicking so all the control logic was there.

Oct - Dealer said it was loose connections at the battery. I had installed a 12v receptacle, etc and was theoretically at fault. They charged shop time.
Unfortunately, it did not correct the issue and it occurred on the way home.
Sept - Dealer changes battery and certifies the bike repaired. Not under warranty of course. I pay the bill. I am skeptical and ask that a tech come out to witness any issues. The bike would not start. The service manager came out and tried himself. No start. Took about 20 hits and then it started.
Dealer kept the bike.
Dec - Waiting for warranty work approval.
May - Dealer changed the solenoid under warranty. Picking it up Saturday. I'll keep you posted if the failure returns.

Picked up the machine yesterday and have had no problems.

The technician saved the start relay to show me the start relay corrosion. The relay design appears robust enough with proper bolt on terminals but there was indeed a lot of white corrosion inside. FYI I had the bike in heated storage over the past two winters. Relay and labor covered under warranty. I'll eat the $400 for the first diagnostic (loose cables) and 2nd trip's battery change as it is not enough to put up a beef. The folks at the dealership are top notch and, in today's stressful world, nobody needs me causing them grief over a few dollars.

1. Shift Assist. - if you have the option, Remember to engage your TSA after an interruption in the 12V supply. It resets to off. See Bike setup menu, TSA.
  2. The wrench came on !. The dealer had to go back in and reset the service due date. .....I only have 36 days until the annual is due......:(
  3. LOL....The last start at the dealership required a booster (too many starts that morning).
I always carry a 500amp L-ion jump starter. They are no bigger than an air pump and can save a call to CAA.

Back