wont start after long rides

flash-pirate

Standard Bore
Ride
rocket roadster
2012 stock roadster ......so my heads puddled with it .....go for a long ride like a couple of hours and wont miss a beat knock it off come back and nowt, lights and clock do the start up dance pull in the clutch press the start button and its like the starter engages for half a second and nowt else happens, itll do hundreds of short journeys no problem, leave it over night the ***** will fire first turn ...........any ideas because im rapidly loosing faith and trust in it

Feel your pain my friend had start problem since owned bike nearly two years now. Have read that can be problem with heat on starter if only happening on long run maybe this could be something to look into.Have lost faith many times to the point of getting rid but just can't bring myself to do it cos just love riding this bike to much. Live in hope one day will find problem.Plenty of people with a lot of knowledge here so don't give up just yet.By the way welcome from the south

Sounds like the solenoid contacts.
Do you get a loud click when you hit the button?

Do a search for starter problems and you'll get a lot of hits.
Here's a link with good info. starter does not want to spin ...solution

yeah kind of get a loud click it sounds very much like it engaged for like a micro second then nothing at all, i kind of arrived at this conclusion early on but bikes only got 4000 miles on it so i kind of ruled it out i shall investigate further thank you matey its appreciated

The starter repair kit is cheap - worth a go. I have a couple of them sat at home - one is in my "travel spares" pack too. Never had to use one yet - but..................

The heat component may be due to the CATS getting really hot on long runs. And just makes things expand enough for the contacts not to mate - especially if they are worn.

Yep, first it will only do it on a heat soaked bike. Then it will happen more and more often. My cats are long gone, but the crossover is about a half inch away from the stater motor.

With 4k on it you're probably looking at misaligned contacts rather than over pitted.

But the kit is cheap sooooo......

Anyway, take your time with getting both contacts FLAT. Then be careful not to torque the battery cable too tight and turn the battery side contact. It might not be a bad idea to replace the nuts so you can get two wrenches on em. One to hold the contact nut and one to tighten.

Back