Enlisting Mufasa for Salt Duty

I've identified another hortfall...
Datalogging.

I've looked at all the aftermarket stuff I can find. It's either insultingly overpriced, massive overkill, or just doesn't do what I want so...guess I'm building one.

For the first version I'll be using a Feather ESP32 board, featherwing with GPS/GLONAS, RTC, and SD-Card with blue tooth LE. It will capture everything in a CSV file compatible with Megalogviewer and be retrievable via Bluetooth.

Everytime the bike starts it'll be logging CLT, IAT, TPS, WBO2, RPM, GPS Speed, Elevation, Rate of Acceleration, Ambient Temp, Humidity, Engine Vaccum, and Baro readings.

The challenge will be sample rate. Can it log all that as raw data fast enough? If so, can it log all that with some simple data processing fast enough? Finally, can it log all that and calculate a rolling 1 second average GPS speed to output to a guage concurrently? If so, great, a $50 solution the aftermarket is charging 20 to 40 times for the same capabilities to accomplish.

The best part: it will be tiny, low power, low cost easy code and provide all the data necessary to drive a generic gauge cluster.
Rob,
You live only 30 miles from me, so you may have just heard your last post whizzing over my head at a high rate?????
Crying1.jpg
**** Yeah.jpg

Unfortunately most of this information is going over my head. Is the purpose to get the bike to run smoother, faster, more reliable or simply measure what the bike is doing?

The unknown values affecting performance from my perspective is wind direction and speed, density of altitude, traction on the salt. These negatives can somewhat mitigated by running when the wind is usually minimal before 10:00 and the density of altitude is best between 0700 and 10:00. Traction drops off after 1:00 pm when moisture is wicked up through the salt and the density of altitude is 1700 to 2200 higher after 1:00 pm.

We can certainly use more fuel in the morning than the afternoon so that would be a good adjustment to me made. The course frequently gets ripped up and leaves on the margins of the left or right side of the course for motorcycles to use. The left side or right side can be used morning but frequently the left side cannot be used in the afternoon due to the wind blows you off the course.

I guess my long winded point is the course, wind and density of altitude isn't really predictable and changes every 30 minutes or so. If calculations are being made to run a broad range of conditions say from 5500 to 7200 feet then a quick tweak to tune, tire pressures while waiting in line then I think we will be fine.
Think he is wanting to set record/records but also come away with more insights as to how and why and ability to measure formulas why. Make each later effort easier and repeatable. Just my thoughts.

So here's the wiring diagram. I still need to identify an appropriate humidity sensor to add to the mix. With that added, the device can calculate real-time DA during a run. These are tiny, think 2 postage stamps next to each other in size. The final puzzle piece is converting the Crank Position Sensor signal into a 0-5v analog output to feed to the Feather. I'll likely need a 2nd controller dedicated to that due to the time intervals involved.
Wiring Diagram 1.png
This is where it becomes helpful for this effort. If I know the DA, exactly, as experienced by the bike, I can account for it with fueling and timing. The rest of the information is just to gain more fidelity of the information I already have through the PC-V. With better data + DA, it becomes possible to adjust the bike to a higher level of precision.

The PC-V or ECU, I'm not sure which, is using a biased voltage. What that causes is a miss-match in data, limiting accuracy of tuning efforts.
Example: With throttle opened to some point, ECU reports 1.1v and PC-V reports 1.14 volts (arbitrary numbers), but they never match, on any sensor, and the offset is not linear. Even the 12v base measurements don't match despite sharing a common ground point, so there's some pull down/up going on, and I expect it's the PC-V itself.

Why do I need to account for DA when the stock ECU is supposed to do that already (that was the WHOLE point of EFI in the first place)? Because without a feedback loop, aka O2 signal, the ECU becomes nothing more than a "dumb" electronic carburetor with no information on the effects the preprogramed correction factors made. From experience I can definitively say, the Keihin ECU is absolutely ****e at calculating the correct correction factors on Mufasa. The bike runs lean as altitude increases, more than 1 full AFR number e.g. a 13:1 area at sea level is 14:1 (or worse) by 7000 ft.

With a custom logger, I can calibrate each sensor input offset to exactly match the ECU values, which lets me tune exactly for what the ECU observes and gain predictability. Additionally, this provides a dead accurate GPS signal that I can poll and average over a set number of samples to give an accurate GPS Speedo output. That can then be fed to a display for Justdad to keep an eye on. The other piece of info he needs, RPM, will be provided by the Healtech Shiftlight Pro. The OEM Tach is quite a bit off, particularly so over 7000 RPM and mine full stops at about 7800, so that last 700 RPM is pure mystery until you bang the limiter. The Healtech doesn't do this, it's true RPM (if configured as such).

EDIT: Code now complete without errors, all that remains is to test/verify no bugs, looks like 10 samples/second aka 10hz, will be easy to achieve.

Last edited:
A log of work preparing for the salt next year.

Currently the bike is filthy, on a center stand, and not quite fully assembled.

My list of work (in no particular order) to prep for a number over 176.6mph:
- 17" Rear Wheel needs to be ordered
- Caliper Rebuild or switch to Hel Calipers
- Suspension rebuild to refresh fluids/seals
- Fresh tune on first 100f+ day
- Reinstall all tins
- Stability check 180mph+
- Powder coat extra front wheel
- Valve Clearance check/inspection
- Bottom end inspection
- Transmission inspection
- Fire proof sleeves on fuel lines
- Fall lanyard cutoff switch
- Safety wire all the things
- Lower the bike as far as possible
- Cut stock seat to lower rider into "bubble"
- Add 2nd Steering Damper on left side
- Find optimal Pirelli Slick for 200+ rating on salt

I anticipate first check ride will be in early October to verify health of all other systems; ECU, Injectors, etc. Then the work really starts!
**** I am glad we can ride all year long, I dont want to work on the thing I just want to ride, and riding is a good excuse not to look too deep.

Will you be testing and data logging at altitudes in your area between 4500' and 7500' ?

Definitely, it's part of riding here, altitude is a thing you simply cannot escape, but I'll deliberately seek out higher elevations. Parts are ordered and will be here soon(ish).
Your bike should lean out some at altitude, but it seems one full increment of AF seems excessive. Might be worth checking the sensor.
Yeah, it's definitely worth investigating. Really, the project has a secondary motivation: it interests me to see if I can build/code it as a stepping stone to other, more complicated EFI control projects I have in mind.

Back