Crying the MPG blues . . .

Your numbers aren't too off.

What can be done and what I did, was have the cruising throttle positions and rpm tuned for economy on the dyno. I get great economy on trips. Usually around 35-40mpg.

Im hopeful after my engine is back together and tuned il get even more.
I have never had any experience with dyno tuning. My bikes have always been carbs and we would change jets run for a while and look at the plugs. Old tech. Nobody around me knows a thing about this bike. Closest dealer 200 miles away.

Did you do that de-restricting? I remember corresponding with someone on the forum here in Raleigh who had done that and offered to help me. Come spring, I might plan a day trip to Raleigh. Actually, we ought to be living in Raleigh. Getting tired of hurricanes every year.

That was me. I've gone farther than just derestricting mine. Reband header, Ramair filter, PCV and some dyno time. Got 143hp and 148ftlb and quiet it is absolutely not.

A 30 dollar cable and Wayne Tripps tune will get you about 30hp from where you are now. Probably up to 113ish area in hp. Pretty good bang for the buck.

The next 30hp will cost ya quite a bit more and the 30 after that gets really pricey. :eek::roll:

Come to Maggie Valley in June and one of the resident gurus is always ready to help a brother out. (Or I can do it):D

When you own a 67 Plymouth Barracuda with a built small block and a 03 Dodge Ram with a superchargerd 408.... I find my Roadster gets EXCELLENT gas mileage...:D

Yes... my stock '70 Buick GS455 gets a solid 10mpg on an easy day and closer to 8 when I'm feeling a little more spirited... :)
-MIG

That was me. I've gone farther than just derestricting mine. Reband header, Ramair filter, PCV and some dyno time. Got 143hp and 148ftlb and quiet it is absolutely not.

A 30 dollar cable and Wayne Tripps tune will get you about 30hp from where you are now. Probably up to 113ish area in hp. Pretty good bang for the buck.

The next 30hp will cost ya quite a bit more and the 30 after that gets really pricey. :eek::roll:

Come to Maggie Valley in June and one of the resident gurus is always ready to help a brother out. (Or I can do it):D
Game.

Reband header? Never heard of that one. PCV sounds like a cheap mod, did you just remove it? First thing I did to my roadstar 20 years ago was to remove all the EPA pollution stuff that was polluting my riding experience.

At this point, I am not thinking about any performance mods. I like the way the bike goes right now. My previous bike was a 2009 Kawasaki Nomad. I had it for 143,000 miles and got an average of 35.5 mpg with it. The R3T blows it away as far as power goes, yet gets about the same mpg. For me it is already a winner.

I have made mods to the bike in terms of lighting, horns, headlight/brake light modulators, LED headlight/driving lights, regulator/rectifier, and a power block. My last big mod will be to add a 6 gallon auxiliary fuel tank in order to extend my range. I had this on my Nomad and loved it. It let me fill up once a week, instead of every 3 days and was great for my long distance rides.

Yours was a 1700 then? I loved mine and if I hadn't purchased the Rocket, would still have it. I probably posted a pic of it previously but......Mustang seat, Cobra True Duals and a bunch of other goodies.
Last Pic.jpg

Back