Crying the MPG blues . . .

Put a Carpenter package on it, then you'll really cry. Despite all the claims of 40+ mpg, best I ever did following carefully behind a guy with a cruise control at the speed limit was under 35 mpg, I was under 25 mpg thrashing it or running near 100. Only checked it the one trip, but seems about right based in fill ups. Not a problem, just saying...

Put a Carpenter package on it, then you'll really cry. Despite all the claims of 40+ mpg, best I ever did following carefully behind a guy with a cruise control at the speed limit was under 35 mpg, I was under 25 mpg thrashing it or running near 100. Only checked it the one trip, but seems about right based in fill ups. Not a problem, just saying...

Well well . . . odd happenings today. I had been reading these thread responses and a thread on the "12 minute" tune up so I thought, why not try it? I fiddled a bit with my clutch switch also. After the 12 minute tune, I ran 120 miles and mpg 38.5. Also, the fuel gauge started working.

My bike's original ownership started off in Reno, NV and the owner rode it in the northwest, frequenting trips to Mt Washington. I bring it down to the SC lowcountry at sealevel and perhaps all that had to happen was an ECU reset. At any rate, I think the 12 minute tune helped.

Big motor gonna burn big gas. If I get 38-41 on my 111 ci indians then I figured I’d get less on a 140 ci motor. Wow I figured correctly. I burn gas for fun and if I’m getting over 25 mpg on the R3 I’ll be ok.

I should be getting mine out of the shop soon with Lush cams and pistons with the Bryant pipe. We’ll see what I get besides less tire life.:p

Yours was a 1700 then? I loved mine and if I hadn't purchased the Rocket, would still have it. I probably posted a pic of it previously but......Mustang seat, Cobra True Duals and a bunch of other goodies.
Last Pic.jpg

Yeah, it was a 2009 with the 1700 motor and belt drive. I bought it in October of 2010 with about 4300 miles on it. It was the same color as yours with the top loading bags. Loved that color combo. I had over 133,000 miles on it when I got the Rocket. Loved that bike. Very reliable.

Now love my Rocket. Getting about the same mileage with way more power. When bringing it back to Florida from San Antonio, TX, the one word which would describe the ride is effortless. At one point I was stuck on I-10 with 2 pick ups in the left lane and a semi in the right lane and was waiting for one or the other to move so I could get around them. The semi moved first, so I gave the throttle a twist, went around the 2 pick ups, changed to the left lane, got around the semi, and when I moved back to the right lane, the GPS said 94 mph. This was from a starting speed of about 75-78 mph. There was no waiting for the bike to move like on my Nomad. It just moved. It happened so smoothly and so quickly I was amazed. The bike was so smooth, that I never had that little bit of buzz feeling I would get on my Nomad. It never bothered me and I never even noticed it. I only became aware of it after riding the Rocket because it was not there when i got off the bike after 2.5 hours on the interstate to stop for fuel. Another fun thing was people coming up to me to ask me about the bike. That happened about every other fuel stop.

Well well . . . odd happenings today. I had been reading these thread responses and a thread on the "12 minute" tune up so I thought, why not try it? I fiddled a bit with my clutch switch also. After the 12 minute tune, I ran 120 miles and mpg 38.5. Also, the fuel gauge started working.

My bike's original ownership started off in Reno, NV and the owner rode it in the northwest, frequenting trips to Mt Washington. I bring it down to the SC lowcountry at sealevel and perhaps all that had to happen was an ECU reset. At any rate, I think the 12 minute tune helped.

That is great! Let's hope that this simple fix is all it takes.

Well then you must pm me and keep in touch. You will triple your standard of living down here and be able to ride year round. I live in Pawleys Island, Georgetown, SC.
We have vacationed in Myrtle Beach, Surfside, Santee and Charleston. My wife wants to look in those areas. I want to be inland by 60 miles or so. I have an opportunity to transfer down there in the next 24 months or so.

We have vacationed in Myrtle Beach, Surfside, Santee and Charleston. My wife wants to look in those areas. I want to be inland by 60 miles or so. I have an opportunity to transfer down there in the next 24 months or so.
Well good luck. SC is a poor state but I have enjoyed living here. Also, you might like the area known as Calabash, at the southern part of the NC line. Southport is a beautiful seaport town. I highly prefer the taxes (lack thereof) here in SC though. We have a hurricane scare every other year but they almost always turn and head for the NC outer banks.

Back