Crying the MPG blues . . .

Gas mileage can change without changing much. My Rocket with all the stuff on it, riding solo on the highway gets around 36 mpg. Take off the tour pack, same ride will be just under 39 mpg at 70 mph. That said, a trip with my wife with touring pak, pulling a cycle trailer, 50 to 60 mph on 2 lane state roads will drop my gas mileage to 28 mpg. All these changes and riding very conservative, I really can't notice the engine working hard. Pulling a stupid trailer, I expected the bike to be a dog. Not at all. Just changed the usage.
Getting just under 40 mpg riding with a group of Harley's requires very little throttle. Riding with another Rocket on the interstate is another story. Much faster, and more gas, not over 34 mpg.

Gas mileage can change without changing much. My Rocket with all the stuff on it, riding solo on the highway gets around 36 mpg. Take off the tour pack, same ride will be just under 39 mpg at 70 mph. That said, a trip with my wife with touring pak, pulling a cycle trailer, 50 to 60 mph on 2 lane state roads will drop my gas mileage to 28 mpg. All these changes and riding very conservative, I really can't notice the engine working hard. Pulling a stupid trailer, I expected the bike to be a dog. Not at all. Just changed the usage.
Getting just under 40 mpg riding with a group of Harley's requires very little throttle. Riding with another Rocket on the interstate is another story. Much faster, and more gas, not over 34 mpg.
Nice. How many miles on your bike. I like that fairing and your front fender embellishment. Can't get that stuff anymore.

Nice. How many miles on your bike. I like that fairing and your front fender embellishment. Can't get that stuff anymore.
The R3T is a 2008 with 50,000 miles. I put the "stuff" on the bike. The original owner kept it stock except for the TORs. I got the Rocket in 2013, with 4,000 miles.

The R3T is a 2008 with 50,000 miles. I put the "stuff" on the bike. The original owner kept it stock except for the TORs. I got the Rocket in 2013, with 4,000 miles.
You got t looking nice.

Guess what . . . 74 degrees here today and supposed to see 78 this weekend! I even saw a few frogs hopping around this afternoon. Y'all will thaw out soon. I think the whole of Lake Michigan is frozen.

You got t looking nice.

Guess what . . . 74 degrees here today and supposed to see 78 this weekend! I even saw a few frogs hopping around this afternoon. Y'all will thaw out soon. I think the whole of Lake Michigan is frozen.
Heck Lake Michigan is a balmy 32 to 35 degrees F. Winds 30+ knots. Waves today, 15+ feet. Not much time for the beach!
I live on a inland lake. 400 acres of water. Totally frozen/no open water.a

Heck Lake Michigan is a balmy 32 to 35 degrees F. Winds 30+ knots. Waves today, 15+ feet. Not much time for the beach!
I live on a inland lake. 400 acres of water. Totally frozen/no open water.a
I fly into Detroit a lot and that side of the lake (where those islands are) indeed is frozen. I have a trip tomorrow and will miss some nice riding weather. This is an oddity though, I have seen snow in March here.

You got t looking nice.

This week I spoke to the friend who I sold my Nomad to.I had sent him a pic of snow on tge ground at my house. Mike winters at his St Marys Georgia house and spends his summers at his other house near me. As I was about to hang up he said "Did I happen to mention that it's 75 here today and I'm sitting in the backyard in shorts and a T-shirt drinking a beer?" Some friends can be JUST CRUEL.

And now we have a big snowstorm to hit us again Friday & Saturday. And then snow again next week. If I wasn't still laid up I'd be visiting my old Navy buddies in Charleston SC. Heck, one lives on a 48 ft yacht.

Last edited:
This week I spoke to the friend who I sold my Nomad to.I had sent him a pic of snow on tge ground at my house. Mike winters at his St Marys Georgia house and spends his summers at his other house near me. As I was about to hang up he said "Did I happen to mention that it's 75 here today and I'm sitting in the backyard in shorts and a T-shirt drinking a beer?" Some friends can be JUST CRUEL.

And now we have a big snowstorm to hit us again Friday & Saturday. And then snow again next week. If I wasn't still laid up I'd be visiting my old Navy buddies in Charleston SC. Heck, one lives on a 48 ft yacht.
Aww man. Well at least you do not have to worry about hurricanes.

You might want to check with @Ishrub if he has any in his cave!

On my trip away this past week in did a short sprint of 202 kms In 1 hour 40mins including 2 stops one for cleaning the visor which I forgot about when at a gas station so stopped at the next town 40km away and second stop for pictures.

Used 13.30 litres of gas was really happy with that and the roads where empty.

You might want to check with @Ishrub if he has any in his cave!

On my trip away this past week in did a short sprint of 202 kms In 1 hour 40mins including 2 stops one for cleaning the visor which I forgot about when at a gas station so stopped at the next town 40km away and second stop for pictures.

Used 13.30 litres of gas was really happy with that and the roads where empty.

Wow! By my calculations, this is 35.7 miles per U.S. gallon at 75 miles per hour. Very nice!

Back