Crying the MPG blues . . .

Sorry to say sounds like your are about average on mpg.

You will get wild swings in mpg depending on riding conditions. I find my best mileage on the interstate doing between 75 to 85.

Stop and go traffic will kill you.

Riding curves is somewhere in the middle depending on how aggressive you are, but OMG is worth it.
Mine only has 6600 miles on it and I have not gotten to wind it out yet on a long ride.

Over many years, I have come to believe in marvel mystery oil. I use it in my roadstar because it seems to help with valve sticking. I had thought it might have caused some of this reduction in mileage. On older engines, especially air cooled ones, it is a godsend. Many airplane owners use it religiously.

My problem is now that I am even more discouraged from doing performance mods and retuning thinking that it might even make mpg worse.

Have similar swings,, 30-39 mpg. I truly don't concern myself with it anymore because I stop about every 150 miles to refuel. These massive high performance bikes are not known for fuel efficiency. On that subject, my beautiful 2007 Vulcan Nomad didn't get much better fuel numbers, and while it was a beautiful, smooth touring machine, it was a dog compared to my Rocket
Yep, that's the reason a few of my friends keep two bikes. Trying to explain that to my wife, lol.

I did get 30-35mpg bone stock on mixed roads, but after my D&D pipes and upgraded tune I get about 26 on mixed roads and I've seen 35-37 on the Highway if I can keep her around 75. Regardless, I fill up around 110 miles or so...
-MIG
Did you find the pipes and retune to be worth it? I plan to try that "de-restricting" tune on my tour model to experiment.

Did you find the pipes and retune to be worth it? I plan to try that "de-restricting" tune on my tour model to experiment.

I love the pipes! I actually enjoyed the "stock look" and these just have a preferred cut at the ends w/ no cat. With the added tune, it opened her up quite noticeably.
-MIG

I picked up my 2014 R3T in April of 2018 with 2,777 miles on the odometer. I bought the bike in San Antonio, TX and rode it 1,200 miles back to Florida. I averaged 31.5 mpg with the worst being 24 mpg and the best being 33.6 mpg. This was all on the interstate traveling 80-85 mph. At one point I got up to 94 mph passing some slower traffic.

Since then I have ridden 11,431 miles in about 4.5 months. The motor, exhaust, and intake are stock. I ride mostly on 2 lane, rural roads and a little in-town. My speeds are generally 45-65 mph. When on the interstate I will do 80-85. The worst I have gotten was 29.1 mpg and the best was 40.1 mpg. I average 34.1 mpg with a standard deviation of 2.3 mpg. This means that on average I should get between 29.5 and 38.7 mpg. I also try to use only top tier gasoline or non-ethanol gasoline. I have found that I get better fuel economy with top-tier gasoline compared to non-top-tier gasoline. Non-ethanol gasoline has been giving me a little better mileage than top-tier gasoline. I record all my fill-ups in a spreadsheet and am tracking the fuel mileage among the different brands of top-tier gasoline and the non-ethanol gasoline in my area.

I picked up my 2014 R3T in April of 2018 with 2,777 miles on the odometer. I bought the bike in San Antonio, TX and rode it 1,200 miles back to Florida. I averaged 31.5 mpg with the worst being 24 mpg and the best being 33.6 mpg. This was all on the interstate traveling 80-85 mph. At one point I got up to 94 mph passing some slower traffic.

I see your just north of Tampa. I'll be heading to the Miami area in Sep for a 24th month stint. I've never been that far south and am hoping for some good riding.
-MIG

Since then I have ridden 11,431 miles in about 4.5 months. The motor, exhaust, and intake are stock. I ride mostly on 2 lane, rural roads and a little in-town. My speeds are generally 45-65 mph. When on the interstate I will do 80-85. The worst I have gotten was 29.1 mpg and the best was 40.1 mpg. I average 34.1 mpg with a standard deviation of 2.3 mpg. This means that on average I should get between 29.5 and 38.7 mpg. I also try to use only top tier gasoline or non-ethanol gasoline. I have found that I get better fuel economy with top-tier gasoline compared to non-top-tier gasoline. Non-ethanol gasoline has been giving me a little better mileage than top-tier gasoline. I record all my fill-ups in a spreadsheet and am tracking the fuel mileage among the different brands of top-tier gasoline and the non-ethanol gasoline in my area.
Sounds like you are doing great. Do you plan on doing any mods to it as far as performance goes? I am thinking about that de-restricting tune.

Back