Chrome oil filter cover on K&N?

Jallen3.14

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket III
Just did my first oil change - what a breeze! Other than the fact that I referenced the wrong parts fiche engine number so I had the wrong crush washers and had to reuse the old ones.

I used a K&N filter and wasn't able to get the chrome cover back on. I didn't spend much time with it as I have a chin spoiler so it's not visible and well protected. Will the cover fit a K&N? Is there a trick to getting it on?

My filter cover fitted OK. From memory the K&N 204 is lightly longer than the OEM (17mm nut end) but the diameters are the same.

If its covered by a spoiler I wouldn't worry about it. The cover is there to prevent debris from puncturing it.

Careful k&n had a recall on some of their filters with the spot welded nut on the end of the filter. If the weld process is wrong then you have a oil sprinkler for a little bit until the engine seizes.

If its covered by a spoiler I wouldn't worry about it. The cover is there to prevent debris from puncturing it.
Thanks. That, and the fact that it was getting dark, is why I gave up so quick.

Careful k&n had a recall on some of their filters with the spot welded nut on the end of the filter. If the weld process is wrong then you have a oil sprinkler for a little bit until the engine seizes.
Wow! I hadn't heard anything about that. I'll keep an eye on it. I've always liked the K&N - most specifically because of that nut.

If you check on line there are specific batch numbers that were a problem. A buddy of mine almost lost his engine in a Speed Triple due to a faulty K & N filter leaking where the nut was welded on.
Yep seen a america being redone in Norfolk because of the failure. It got by QA. Anyway enough for me not to gamble on my beast. They deserve better :)

Back