Cat box Triumph replacement pipes

Thanks Doug!!! appreciate your comments and all the others..as this time and it is really the first time I have not added nitrious, skiiny pipes...lots of sounds .....and am enjoying the ride.....

No, the 12 minute tune will not optimize the combination of stock mufflers plus cat bypass. There is a tune (20150) which is for stock mufflers with cat box with catalyst removed which would be close - apparently it is close now that I have read the preceding post by Her3tic. Advice: get the TOR's and cat bypass. There is a stock Trumph tune and better Tuneboy ($400) tunes for it. Why worry about a legal sounding bike when there are so many noisemakers out there?

Doug:

If you consider the R3 as an expendable bike put the non-agency stamped mufflers on it. However, if you are planning on keeping it, i'd consider leaving the stock pipes on. I read monthly in the AMA magazine about more and more municipalities craking down on noisy bikes. It's just a matter of time before there is a cop with a sound gun in your neighborhood too. Any community that has signs posted disallowing engine brakes or (jake Brakes) on big trucks has a noise ordinance on their books and applying that ordinance to loud bikes is only a matter of directing their wrath towards them instead of trucks. The whole point is as you said 'there are so many noisemakers out there'. Percisely. More noise makers, more revenue. personally, I'm not paying to be playing.

I am 1o miles and 1o minutes from Bruce Rossmeyers Harley Resort and a few more minutes from Daytona proper. Seems to be a lot quieter than 10 yrs ago. I use to be big on sound for its at the root of mankind!! Driven to feel all thats within the machine!!!! and that rocks.....though now I appreciate the sounds of technology and great music with what is left of my hearing........will I be happy with only the cat box replacement or will I return to the depths of the machine!!!! Time will tell and of course the Sound Police!:rolleyes:

No, the 12 minute tune will not optimize the combination of stock mufflers plus cat bypass. There is a tune (20150) which is for stock mufflers with cat box with catalyst removed which would be close - apparently it is close now that I have read the preceding post by Her3tic...

The 20150No-Pop incorporated your's and Waynes answer to the decel pop. Thanks so much! Works absolutely perfect. I went with the 20150 base tune to ascertain whether the dips in the L tables for the base tune for a Classic were necessary. I found no ill effects with the modified 20150 instead of the base 20143 for my classic. Whether the 12 minute tune has any effect, with only a by-pass installed, is for greater minds than mine to determine. I know it didn't cost me anything except 20 minutes and a bit of fuel.

Triumph claim 21 hp gain with cat bypass and TORs with the correct tune. They also claim 18 hp gain with just the catbypass and correct tune. Only 3 more hp for all the noise!
:eek: I was unaware of such significant specified horse power increase with just the fur ball extracted; though I certainly felt the improvement on my first ride thereafter; and I was still with the factory Classic tune at the time. Three additional ponies for a set of TORs, makes my decision to keep the bologna stockers a good one; in more ways than one.

Back