Can not believe the new 2008 Turing Rocket

Well he's kinda right, and kinda wrong. Not only is the tune different, but the tables within the tune are different. What that means is its not as simple as loading a Standard/Classic tune into the R3T, it flat won't work.

Now, the only tune your dealer will have available to you is the TORS tune. Which of course requires a set of TORS mufflers. That change will net you something in the neighborhood of 10-15 horsepower, nowhere near covering the deficit.

If you really want similar horsepower to the Standard/Classic models you will need to change out the exhaust, Jardines at a minimum and strap on a set of K&N filters. Once you've done that you will need a custom tune via either Tuneboy or the newly released TuneECU.

So add in the cost of the exhaust and filters along with dyno time to tune your bike and you're talking about a decent investment. It can be done, but its not nearly as simple as your dealer makes it sound.

My dealer said the same thing..He can tune it up to the original HP if desired...I put Tors and KnN filter,re-tune and added the GiProATRE and my bike screams horsepower/torque all the time..Of course I bought it for the touring comfort and only wanted the available power to be accessable when desired!

Yep, My dealer Randy Baxter told me this and I also researched it in the Triumph technical manual. HP reduction is ALL in the ECU.
Marty.
Initially I had thought about buying a new Roadster an putting touring accessories on it till I talked to Randy.

This is true. The R3T is amazingly de-tuned/restricted in the ECU.

Below is a graph of one of several near stock R3Ts that I have tuned. This one has the stock silencers with a 1" hole drilled through the baffles - cats still in place. Notice the LARGE gain in output - ALL from tuning.
[On this dyno a stock R3 produces 105-106.5 hp - 11.5% lower than Dynojets at this output.]

Blue - As delivered 85.85 hp / 122 ft-lb (Would not hold load at 2000 rpm - speed limited)
Red - After tuning 117.67 hp / 144.4 Ft-lb (SPeed and rev limiters raised.)

It's really quite simple to SURPASS the horsepower AND Torque output of the standard (stock) Rocket III with the R3T:

Forget about the drop in K&N, buy the 3 individual K&N filters and remove the HIGHLY restrictive intake plumbing. (Also forget about the Tuneboy foam filters unless you don't mind possibly catching your bike on fire) Look on the sticky for instructions you'll need two other cheap, small K&N filters for the crank case breather and Air Temp sensor.

Purchase a TuneBoy to drop a map for 3 filters with D&D's on it. (Very easy)

Purchase D&D slipons and be done with it.

You'll spank just about every bike on the road short of Hyabusa's, FJR's, and ZX14 \ Concourse's!

This is supposedly the tune I have.

Archer

This is true. The R3T is amazingly de-tuned/restricted in the ECU.

Below is a graph of one of several near stock R3Ts that I have tuned. This one has the stock silencers with a 1" hole drilled through the baffles - cats still in place. Notice the LARGE gain in output - ALL from tuning.
[On this dyno a stock R3 produces 105-106.5 hp - 11.5% lower than Dynojets at this output.]

Blue - As delivered 85.85 hp / 122 ft-lb (Would not hold load at 2000 rpm - speed limited)
Red - After tuning 117.67 hp / 144.4 Ft-lb (SPeed and rev limiters raised.)
So tripp are you saying I can drill out the baffles (which I have been wanting to do to beef up sound and provide a little more air flow) and throw a tune via tune ecu and gain this better power curve? This is exactly what i am looking for if I am understanding this correctly. I dont want to blow out my rocket just tweak it a little.

mutt

But now that you've done all that to get a touring to equal a stock R3 .... what do you do to compete with those R3's that aren't stock any more? :p

If you really want the most power, forget the antiquated gas engine and go electric! Now, you're talking instant power. Not only will you be able to beat any bike, but you'll beat any car as well! :p

I love the dude that has the electric Pinto (IIRC) that beats the pants off of Vettes, Vipers, Mustangs, bikes and anyone else ignorant enough about electric power to actually think they can beat him.

But now that you've done all that to get a touring to equal a stock R3 .... what do you do to compete with those R3's that aren't stock any more? :p

Speaking only for myself of course, its not about competing with R3s. Its about getting the full potential out of the engine in the configuration that I wanted. I waited for the Touring model to be released for a number of reasons and the only disappointment was the lack of power. That has been remedied.

Back